Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Where Is Katma Tui?

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Monday, January 30, 2012

Where Is Katma Tui?

I have to admit that I am enjoying quite a number of the new 52 books. I am not enjoying some of the others, but I felt that way BEFORE the reboot, so not a lot has changed. Continuity however...continues to gnaw at my vitals.

The Green Lantern books, like the Bat books sailed through the whole kerfuffle fairly easily. And yet, that very ease, is one of the things that also continues to gnaw at me. Exactly WHAT is still there, from the Sinestro Corps War, from Blackest Night, and from the War of the Green Lanterns?

Hal lost his ring, and he STILL doesn't have a ring, except for the one that Sinestro gave him. Sinestro is again a Green Lantern. This is fine with me, I rather enjoy Sinestro, but suddenly Hal seems to be back to being a complete rookie all over again. He's certainly portrayed that way in the new Justice League book,which is also written by Geoff Johns. I don't have much of a problem having Hal being a wet-behind-the-ears overeager jackass...but where does that leave John and Guy, not to mention Kyle? Are their origins all different now?

And what about all the cool dead Lanterns? Specifically, what about Katma? She was shown in the War of the Green Lanterns, as being dead, inside of Mogo, but trying to warn John, before he decided to blow Mogo into tiny little Mogo pieces. But that was before. Now, everyone is back to square one, and younger and a bit more inexperienced. Could Katma be alive again, and could she and John get back together? Where they ever together to begin with? Guy and Tora weren't apparently, their whole history has been wiped out, and they've only dated a few times. Hell, bring back Ch'p! And Tomar Re, and Kreon, and Laira.

Heck, while we're at it, bring back Ted Kord, and Ralph and Sue Dibny, and Jean Loring. You heard me, bring back Jean! We NEED an utterly ruthless whack-job! DC pushed the Re-Set button, so let's do it right.

I know, I know, I just won't let go of this sort of thing...but it bothers me. I have all these wonderful characters that I would love to read about, and I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one out there, who misses them. I'm getting pretty tired of grim and gritty all of the time, but I realize that I am not the chosen age or gender that Comics are aiming for. Still...I've got a lot of nice disposable income, that I am simply dying to give to DC. In return that is...for my favorite characters, some of which are a lot of fun, rather than dark and gloomy.

And I liked Katma.

Photobucket

7 Comments:

At 2:03 PM, Blogger James Ashelford said...

I'd like to see Katma back as well, not just because it would be nice to have that character around but, well... John needs something to happen to him other than trauma for a change.

As for what counts: I think everything from Rebirth onwards (or at least Geoff Johns' GL #1) counts as a safe zone, totally inviolate to the reboot and at least Kyle's origin is the same from that first issue of New Guardians.

I wonder if Johns has experience as an accountant?

DAN DIDIO: Johns, you need to reboot your book.

JOHNS: Can we backdate it to the beginning of the financial year 2005?

 
At 6:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel like Soranik is meant to be sort of Katma 2.0 but it does make me sad we can't have both...

Also, Kyle's origin was tweaked. Different coast, pub instead of a club, Ganthet makes it clear it's not random, possibly no Alex.

-Anarky

 
At 9:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't feel like Hal's been shown to be a rookie in his own book, so much as we're being shown why Sinestro was considered the greatest of Green Lanterns before Hal. Sinestro's a true veteran, with enough knowledge of the ring to help the Weaponers re-create the technology. Hal's a very talented and powerful user of the ring – probably more powerful than Sinestro, though I maintain not more powerful than Guy – but Sinestro knows how it works. Hal is power, Sinestro is finesse.

As for Justice League, Hal is still a rookie there; it's back-dated five in-continuity years.

– Jack of Spades

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Gosh, James, it WOULD be nice to have something non-catastrophic happen to John for a change.

I'm not sure if Alex is still in continuity, but if she isn't, it would be a darned shame, because she's still my favorite of his girlfriends. Except for Soranik, but we all know how that turned out.

I like the way you think, Jack. It's just that the five years back for Justice League, and then five years forward for everything else, has a tendency to throw me for a loop. Although, I guess that Action Comics is even further back, since Superman is running around in jeans.

God...I miss continuity!

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger Lantern Kiaori said...

The fact that the old JLI never happened makes me mad (just a few dates?!?!?!?) , but I think that's the only main event that never took place.

It would cool to finally meet Katma, though. I never had the chance, because when I started reading Green Lantern she was already dead. I think that she will remain like that, since her death shaped John in such a particular way.

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger Erich said...

I always liked Katma, and I hated that she got such a pointless, stupid death.

On a semi-unrelated note, I was wondering if you'd ever seen the "What Were They Thinking?" site. He features a lot of GL material, and I thought the latest post would be of particular interest:

http://luchins.com/what-were-they-thinking/the-one-and-only-green-lantern-folks/

And then there's this post on Comic Book Resources' "Comics Should Be Good":

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2012/01/29/five-goofiest-moments-in-green-lantern-31-35/

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Erich, I have indeed been mining the "What were they thinking" site for ages, because it is such a delightful source of pictures of Hal being idiotic. And the Comics Should Be Good one was also a hoot.

I have the black and white collections of the old Gil Kane Green Lanterns, and the one with Hal trading places with the bird and flapping his arms is simply hilarious.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home