Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: More Reviews

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, January 26, 2012

More Reviews

Well, now this was a fairly interesting week.

All-Star Western #5

Poor Jonah. He really really hates Gotham City. And who can blame him? He is stuck palling around with Doctor Arkham, who is a bit of a wet blanket really, and he keeps getting involved in these absurd situations. Giant bats in the caves beneath the city? Vampire people? Slave labor, and greedy politicians, and all the rest? He'd probably just like to go back west and get shot at by various bandits and owl-hoots for a change of pace.

As good as it always is.

Aquaman #5

Gosharootie, that splash page is insanely gorgeous. It takes up a helluva lot of space, but it IS gorgeous.

Photobucket

Purty, eh?

Anyhoo, Arthur is a bit moody after the mess with the Trench creatures, when he gets a phone call from the U.S. Navy of all people, who found an artifact when they were taking apart the cocoons around those nice people. They want Aquaman to help out, and of course he does. The artifact, which looks a lot like his belt buckle is talking, and he tells them that it is from ancient Atlantis. Naturally, they don't believe him, until a bunch of people with helmets and laser guns show up and steal the artifact back. Artie goes after them, and in the struggle, they manage to blow up their own ship, and he falls to the ground. The hot DRY ground. He's bleeding, dehydrated and hallucinating just a bit, when he comes across the wreck, and some water from the helmet of one of the Atlanteans, and manages to conjure up a holographic image, that blames their plight on the ancient rulers of Atlantis. He's intrigued naturally, and then manages to get rescued by a Navy Helicopter, to the amusement of the media. Oh, and Mera goes into town for some dogfood. What could possibly go wrong?

The art is stunning of course, and I'm enjoying this thoroughly.

Flash #5

The Flash continues to deliver as usual. The story is fun, and the art is gorgeous, and Barry is learning how to do all these wonderful wonderful things. Too bad about his old buddy. And that cliff-hanger is...ominous. Very ominous.

This is a great book, and I love it.

Green Lantern: New Guardians #5

I...I just don't know what it is about this book. I just can't seem to summon up the enthusiasm that I have when I'm reading Green Lantern or Green Lantern Corps. It's not that I don't like Kyle, because I LOVE Kyle. I think it is perhaps, that I'm not that thrilled with the whole concept of him running around with these various other Color Corps members. I also am not thrilled with him being on the outs with the Guardians, but hey, who ISN'T on the outs with the Guardians lately?

I miss having him bounce off Guy, or John, or Kilowog or Hal, or any other members of the GREEN Lantern Corps. I don't have the affection for Fatality or Atrocitus or Munk really. They're...ok. Just not my cup of tea.

Anyway, they go and slip aboard the Orrery, and stuff happens, and Larfleeze is apparently up to no good.

Meh.

Justice League #5

Well, things are just booming along nicely now. Darkseid shows up, as we were all pretty sure he was going to...and He manages to defeat Flash, at least temporarily, and kidnaps Superman of all people, which I thought was interesting. Hal is busy doing his best to defeat Darkseid, with no thought to the consequences, and even manages to get his arm broken. Batman is trying to talk him down, and points out that the two of them are probably the ONLY people on this new team without powers, which makes Hal blink a bit. Heck, Bats even takes his cowl off, and tells Hal who he really IS! Hal of course, the self-centered jackass that he is, hasn't the least idea who Bruce Wayne even is, which I found awfully amusing.

Cyborg shows up,and Wonder Woman, and Aquaman, and they all fight the goons, and Hal is drawing Darkseid's fire, while Bruce goes after Superman, and gets quite a surprise.

It's just good comic book fun. Nothing too cerebral, but it's flashy and a bit fun, and has lots of good old fashioned violence. And a fair amount of Hal, which is always a bonus.

Justice League Dark #5

I do like this book as well. Such pretty art for one thing. The Dark version of the league does manage to get together,and more or less save the day, but not without a lot of angst, and a lot of accusations and outrage. Now that they're together, despite the pleas of Madame Xanadu, they immediately split up again. And poor June Moon is back together with the Enchantress, and Deadman is really pissed, and Constantine is pissed, and oh, it's lots and lots of fun.

1 Comments:

At 8:59 PM, Anonymous Shawn Engel said...

Hello Sally,

I know this is an odd post, but since I don't actually know how to get in touch with you via e-mail, this was the easiest way I could think of of talking with you. My name is Shawn Engel, and I have started up a Guy Gardner/Kyle Rayner centric podcast called Just One of the Guys. My plan is to cover the 1990's comics of Green Lantern, as well as Guy's solo run. Right now, I'm covering the initial story arc about the Old Timer going mad and the Guardians coming back. But in about a month, I will be covering the Guy and His G'Nort story, and this is where my question comes in.

I have been reading your blog for quite some time (at least a year, if not more), and I've really been impressed with your knowledge and enthusiasm for GL, especially Guy. Your reviews have consistently been informative, concise, and most of all, fun. With that said, I would like to ask you if you would be willing to join me on the podcast to do a review of the four part story arc about Guy. Please feel free to go to my site http://www.justoneoftheguys.libsyn.com, or search for Just One of the Guys podcast on iTunes. Please do NOT feel any obligation to do this, as I know this is kind of an out of the blue request. But if you are interested, please feel to e-mail me at the address on the website.

Thank you for your consideration,
Shawn Engel

 

Post a Comment

<< Home