Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: What the HELL?

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Saturday, January 14, 2012

What the HELL?

I am flabberghasted. Slum-guzzled. Confused even.

DC has announced that it is going to keep producing 52 comics. If they want to add new ones, they must replace ones that are failing. That's fine with me, it's not my plan. It seems a tad rigid, but whatever works, eh?

So...One of the series that is going to get the axe is Rob Liefeld's Hawk & Dove. I have not been reading Hawk & Dove. I don't really give two hoots about Hawk & Dove, although I liked Dove well enough in the Birds of Prey. Liefeld's artwork however is NOT something that I admire.

At All.

So, in their infinite wisdom, DC has seen fit, to hand over the reins to Rob Liefeld on THREE other books! Starting with issue #9, he is going to be plotting for Savage Hawkman, plotting for Grifter, and Writing and Drawing Deathstroke.

What the hell?

I don't read these three books either. I've never been much of a Hawkman fan, although he has his occasional moments. I don't like Grifter and I simply loathe Deathstroke. So it is no real skin off of my nose. But all I can think of, is that either Liefeld has a safety deposit box somewhere with pictures of Dan Didio and a goat, or else DC has some really bitchin' new books lined up, and want to start using them, but they first have to get some existing books out of the way.

At least that's my take. What's yours?

12 Comments:

At 8:54 AM, Blogger Gary said...

Heh - I said much the same earlier. Who knows what he has to use against the DC big boys?!

I was leaning towards dropping Hawkman anyway as it's not really working for me this time round, and the announcement of Liefeld's involvement just made up my mind.

 
At 9:05 AM, Anonymous Mike said...

Someone in a related forum guessed that Hawkman, Grifter, and Deathstroke might be on the cancellation bubble, and they're looking at Liefeld's name/polarization to stay the execution for a few months.

I'm gonna go with that explanation over the one where Liefeld has pictures of Jim Lee's wife with an assortment of animals.

 
At 9:13 AM, Anonymous Mike said...

btw - this quote from a/n (Newsarama?) interview is going to haunt me for the next week.

Liefeld: Well my first writing assignment, taking over New Mutants with issue #98 turned out well for all parties. We live in a Marvel Universe that has multiple Deadpool titles, where Cable is currently destroying the Avengers and X-Force is the most popular X-Men title. I'd say as a writer/creator I over-performed in my role.

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Mike, I read that "over-performed" line and just burst into laughter.

Heh.

Gary, I feel the very same way.

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

There's still a belief in some circles that Liefeld's name is a seller, right? If so, it didn't happen with hawk & Dove, so perhaps DC thinks it'll work better with titles closer to what people think of when you say Liefeld. Big muscley dudes with huge guns or swords.

I know Grifter's been packing heat through the first 4 issues, and if the covers are telling the truth, Deathstroke has a ridiculously huge sword.

I do find it strange they're putting him on two books as a plotter, while also expecting him to write and draw a third title on his own. I thought deadlines were a real problem for Liefeld?

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger James Ashelford said...

It's been, what? Twenty years since Leifield stopped writing X-Force. I almost admire the balls of claiming credit for the success of these characters so long after leaving them.

Coincidentally, Sally, I have similar theories about Greg Land having something on Jeo Quesada, it can be the only explanation.

 
At 6:05 AM, Blogger Martin Gray said...

Colour me bemused. DC does seem to be turning into an odd cross between Nineties Image and Marvel.

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Isn't Bob Harras working for DC now? That could possibly explain this weird fascination with the '90's.

Personally, I was glad to leave mullets, pouches and leather jackets behind.

 
At 4:53 AM, Blogger Eyz said...

Yeah, it sounds like such a stupid move from DC.. Imiss the pre-New 52 DC Comics/Universe already...

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Dwayne "the canoe guy" said...

My leather jacket has two dozen pouches just fir holding all my extra mullets!

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

So THAT'S what they used those pouches for! I always thought it was jelly beans.

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger notintheface said...

I can't seem to get Joe Kubert to stop retching... http://i.newsarama.com/images/HKMN_00Cvr_v2_02.jpg

 

Post a Comment

<< Home