Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: You Really Shouldn't Have to Prove Your Nerd Credentials

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Monday, May 09, 2011

You Really Shouldn't Have to Prove Your Nerd Credentials

So I took a wander over to the "When Fangirls Attack" site yesturday, and stumbled upon a rather interesting little brouhaha. Zooey May, whom I am unfamiliar with, had posted a rather heated entry, calling fake Nerd Girls to task. The gist of her argument was that it shouldn't be so amazing any more that women actually like and read about Superheroes. I am certainly all for that. Women constitute at least 25% of the reading public, and the numbers are growing all of the time.

Where she lost me however, was when she launched into an ad hominem attack on another woman, named Jill Pantozzi who has a blog named "Has Boobs Reads Comics". Frankly, I thought that was rather amusing. I have a blog named for Green Lantern Butts, so this sort of thing obviously appeals to my rather juvenile sense of humor. What I did NOT find so amusing was Zooey's wish to "...punch her in her stupid boobs...!" She was irate about the fact that Ms. Pantozzi had called attention to being a female and writing about comics.

Well!

Then there was another article about whether or not it was possible to be "hawt" and still be a nerd, and that all those attractive young actresses were just faking their nerd credentials, and should therefore be hissed and shunned. My reaction to all of this is...What the HELL is wrong with you people?

I don't care if you picked up a copy of Thor yesturday, after seeing the movie, and now proclaim yourself to be a "nerd" because you liked it. Anyone who likes comics...male, female, androgynous, or Martian (yes, I love J'onn) is going to be looked upon by me, as a comrade. I don't care if you have been reading comics for thirty years, or thirty minutes, I will still be happy.

There is this underlying desire amongst some people to keep their society closed off to outsiders. It's a cliche, but things become a cliche for a reason. The desire to dominate others by knowing more about the Millenium Falcon is a little silly, but is taken quite seriously by some people. As fangirls, we are used to this sort of treatment from the boys...which is why I am rather startled to see a girl pulling the same sort of crap. And yes, I am using the terms "girls" and "boys" as opposed to Women and Men, because if you are going to ACT like a ten-year old, they you will be designated as one.

Is it really a crime of the first order to pretend to like Star Wars? In a way it is sort of flattering. Geek culture is finally being taken seriously by the population at large, which is both exhilarating and apparently terrifying to some people. I'm a Woman who reads comics. I've been reading since I was fifteen, and I'm fifty now so I don't have to establish my credentials to anyone. And I thank God for the internet, because otherwise, I wouldn't have found so many wonderful and witty people to exchange ideas with on a daily basis. And yes, there are a LOT of Women who have comic book blogs too. Just look at my side-bar thingie.

So let me just say to Ms. May...young lady, you owe Ms. Pantozzi an apology. And let's all just lighten up a little. And enjoy our comics and movies and sci-fi and television and games and anything else that enriches our lives, without pissing on anyone else.

Or else you'll all be sent to your rooms without supper. Or Wi-fi.

11 Comments:

At 2:02 PM, Blogger Emelia G. said...

This is why I love you and your blog so much. Well said! <3

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Well thank you for being so kind. But seriously, what a ridiculous thing to make a fuss about! It's bad enough being quizzed by the male geeks without having to deal with the girls as well.

On one hand she has a point...we shouldn't HAVE to still be amazed that women like comics. But the way that she expressed this was done incredibly badly.

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger Emelia G. said...

Also, I think that kind of talk scares future female fans away. The girls are who are going to discover Thor and Green Lantern in the movies. What if they start to buy the comics? They are gonna want to seek out other girls who share their interest and find them fighting amongst themselves. Can't we all just get along!? ^.^

 
At 4:13 PM, Anonymous lordofthewaters said...

Not intending to offend you Sally or any of my fellow followers of your writings, as I don't believe any of you are like this at all. BUT, I've noticed some women are often "catty" where other women are involved? Seems to me like a relatively small community like female comic fans or slightly larger geekdom, this character trait would be exacerbated. As they feel their "territory" is being threatened...

Not that this should be condoned or is beneficial or desirable at all in ANY of the wider geek/nerd community....

 
At 6:26 AM, Blogger Fernando said...

Well, while I agree with some of what you say, I also think that you may find that this article ( http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/12/ff_angrynerd_geekculture/all/1 ) will do much better delivering the idea behind that girlĀ“s post.

That concerning intrusism as a whole, not refeering to the "girls not being nerds" thing which is, just as you said, just plain silly.

At any rate, what is true is that within "geekdom" your range of geek knowdeleage upon any subject has always been a meassurement of your geeksatus.

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

It is absolutely true, that the ability to spout a whole lot of esoteric and slightly ridiculous information is used as a litmus test amongst the cognocenti in order to weed out the "insiders" from the "outsiders" in comicbook geekdom. Then there ARE the Outsiders, and I wouldn't go calling out Metamorphon on his geek credit, or you'll get a whuppin'!

Of course this is true of practically ANY group of enthusiasts. I am completely guilty of this myself sometimes...I know more totally useless things than practically anyone that you'll meet. For example, did you know that Edward I, King of England from 1272 to 1306 or thereabouts, favorite horse was named Bayard? Well, now you do! Amaze your friends!

On the other hand, I have to admit that even on the Message Boards, those snake pits of angst...there is a perfect willingness, nay joy, in helping out anyone who confesses to being a newbie, and who requests information about WHAT books to read in order to find out exactly why Hal's ass is so spectacular. Which is actually rather a nice thing.

Also, I cannot deny that I think that a certain degree of cattiness IS behind some of the present kerfuffle. Women can be awfully catty sometimes. Of course so can Men. But there are always some people who need to feel better about themselves by cutting off someone else at the knees. It is NOT attractive.

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger LissBirds said...

"I don't care if you have been reading comics for thirty years, or thirty minutes, I will still be happy." That makes me happy, too. :) Your blog is just a ray of sunshine in the world of comicsdom, Sally.

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Oh Liss, you silver-tongued devil, you.

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Saranga said...

Sally this is why I love your blog and have been reading it for years!

You, my dear, have class. And brains. Bravo!

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Saranga said...

And I second what Liss said too. :)

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Awwww....! I just thought I had brilliant readers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home