Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Bouquets and Brickbats

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Bouquets and Brickbats

Once again, it is Review time. NOT a very big week for me, so I shall be brief.

Birds of Prey #3. I'm a little bit bemused by this book. There was some fun stuff as usual, but it seemed to bounce around a lot, and I'm not sure if that is because of the writing, or if it is more because of the art. There were a lot of different artists, and I think it suffered a little in the translation.

We begin with the Penquin having to fight off the lascivious advances of all the Birds, which is a little peculiar to begin with, but fortunately it turns out to only be the private fantasy of Mr. Cobblepot, apparently due to bloodloss. He does manage to babble just enough to gross everyone out, however. They are all hiding out at the Iceberg Lounge, which is as good a place as any, to ditch the cops, while they contemplate the rather dismal turn their lives have taken.

Meanwhile, Barbara and the Calculator continue to spar in each other's minds, while Wendy and Batgirl are doing...something. Frankly, I found it to be a little confusing. And somehow, in the middle of it all, Babs is kidnapped by...Savant and Creote? And Dinah finally figures out whom the mysterious white-clad female figure is, and why she's so very very pissy.
My guess is that somehow it's Sin, but what to I know?

So a Bouquet, but a small one, because it was a bit on the jumbled side.

The Brave & the Bold #35.

Now this teams up the Inferior Five with the Legion of Substitute Heroes, and it is a delight from start to finish. Seriously, this is a hoot. And the art is quite nice as well. I have my reservations sometimes about JMS, but when he's on...he's ON! And in this particular case, I enjoyed the heck out of it.

It involves time travel, the Doom Patrol from a previous issue, and the Legion's desire to best the regular Legion at something. Like saving the world from a Black Hole. Too bad they really don't know how to operate a time sphere all that well. And the Inferior Five end up trapped in 2010, which I HOPE will lead to more appearances, because...why the heck not?

A LARGE Bouquet.

Booster Gold #34

I loved this. Really really a lot. It was a nice trip into the past for Booster, who while looking for Max Lord, just can't resist being sucked into an adventure with Blue Beetle. Not to mention Scott Free and Big Barda. It was a little bit bittersweet to me, because amongst all the Bwhahaha's, there is this sense of Booster's loss and new maturity.

A copy of Destiny's book...a pale copy, has been swiped from the Vatican,a nd Booster and Beetle, with a bit of help from Mister Miracle and Barda, are somehow transported to another planet, via boomtube, and attacked by a dragon, and various bad guys. Oh, and Michelle shows up and bonds with little Rani, which is also...interesting.

An even larger Bouquet.

Justice League #5.

I'm torn. I'm actually starting to...like this. I still think that Winick's version of Ice is not very good, but at least he's finding his voice with the rest of them. And I blush to admit this...but I find the new Rocket Red to be quite wonderful. Heck, even Captain Shinypants isn't as annoying to me as he used to be. But I still wish that Ice wasn't so...obnoxious.

The team is back together, assembled through the machinations of Max...well except for a Green Lantern. As Max explains, he's not feeling all that kindly towards Lanterns of ANY color lately. Ingrate. He then tells the crew NOT to bother looking for him. But guess what, they don't feel like taking that advice. Good ol' Max boobytrapped the armor of one of the other Rocket Reds as a precaution, and in attempting to save him, he winds up doomed, which puts them all into a terrible mood.

But Max didn't count on the scarab, and Blue Beetle is able figure out his location, which turns out to Checkmate headquarters. Max certainly does have a huge pair of brass ones.

I'm REALLy looking forward to the next issue. Just wish that Ice sounded like herself, but I'm being seduced despite myself.

A small bouquet.

I hope that you all enjoyed your books!

11 Comments:

At 1:32 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

A slight addendum here. I was just over at Scans Daily, and lo and behold, there was actually some scenes involving Savant and Creote THAT WERE MISSING FROM MY PARTICULAR COMIC BOOK of Birds of Prey.

So I apologize for doubting Gail Simone. It certainly makes a heck of a lot more sense now.

Am I the only one to get a copy without the requisite page?

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger mathematicscore said...

What page was missing? It all seems to be there in my copy.

As to JL:GL, I liked that they at least addressed Ice's sea change. Like you, I'm not fully behind it.

I think my favorite Ice story is Justice League Quarterly #5 by Mark Waid. She's a total sweetheart in it, and not just one of those all too common personality cliches that populate many comicbook teams.

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

I'm missing the page where Savant and Creote show up, and kidnap Barbara. I couldn't figure out how she went from being in the Batcave to suddenly showing up in their car. It all makes so much more SENSE now!

Ice IS a total sweetheart. She wasn't a coward, which is what Winick is implying, and which infuriates me. She's practically the nicest person in all of the DC Universe, and he's got her sounding like a harpy.

Gah!

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger Volcano Todd said...

http://io9.com/5579211/14-demented-green-lantern-stories-that-were-sure-wont-be-in-the-movie?skyline=true&s=i

#1 made me think of you.

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

Uh, Wendy and Batgirl and Calculator were all in the new issue of Batgirl, where Babs was fighting Calculator in her mind. And the issue was very cool.

Savant and Creote turning out to be (very) bad again wasn't all that surprising, but still, kinda sad. I liked them.

I have a few ideas re: the mystery assassin. Sin somehow grown up is one of them.

 
At 4:09 AM, Blogger Saranga said...

Steph/Wendy/Babs were all in Batgirl.. I had no idea it was also being covered in BoP.

Btw sally, you will be pleased to hear that Gail Simone is attempting to make pantlessgreenlanternmovie a trendign topic on twitter.

I wonder if the producers will notice and agree?

 
At 5:32 AM, Blogger Saranga said...

Just seen a tweet by Gail Simone, I think DC screwed up the printing of BoP...

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Todd, that was a FABULOUS site! And some of my very favorite idiotic stories about Hal. Because hey, there are SO many to chose from.

Shelly, you're thinking the same way that I'm thinking.

Saranga, I'm glad that I'm not the only one!

 
At 1:36 PM, Anonymous DC Women Kicking Ass said...

Sally-just so you know, a number of issues of BoP #3 were published with pages of Batgirl #12 in it. Gail tweeted about it this morning. DC is working on a fix.

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

AHA!

I'll be on the look-out for the corrected issue.

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Saranga said...

Did you get a replacement copy of BoP sorted out?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home