Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Birds of Prey #116

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Birds of Prey #116

I picked this up with some anticipation, and I must admit that I was FLOORED to read Gail Simone's name on the cover! Woohoo! I thought, in anticipation! Alas, it was not to be, it was still written by Sean McKeever.

It isn't a bad issue, in fact I loved the Zinda/Queen Shark and Huntress portion of it. I was less enamoured of the Babs/Misfit/Black Alice part however. Babs just hasn't been HERSELF lately. We discover that apparently Misfit's powers are magical in origin, and therefore able to be assumed by Black Alice. Who, after originally helping Oracle suddenly goes bonkers again, and attacks not only Misfit, but Oracle. I can understand her not being pleased with Misfit, who to be perfectly honest is acting like a two-year old here, but Oracle? And Oracle herself is still in her snotty/judgemental state, that she's been in ever since she was scolded by Superman a couple of issues ago. Snap OUT of it, Woman! Sheesh!

However, the adventure with Zinda and Helena is rather on the rollicking side, and I enjoyed it a lot. Zinda of course has been drugged with Killer Shark's old serum, so she's totally in love with this guy, who apparently is not all that we believed. Huntress has this air of incredulity about her, that I find amusing.

It turns out that Killer Shark isn't REALLY Killer Shark, but his obnoxious Grandson. He's still a nasty little piece of work obviously, but he certainly lacks the original's panache. For one thing, he's rather turned on by the fight between Zinda and Huntress, the little weasel. Secondly, he's pretty much a wannabe, and he's using Zinda in order to find Grandpa's treasure. Zinda, as Queen Shark is still under his spell however, and she doesn't like the attention that he's paying to Huntress, so she locks he in a closet or something.

Zinda does manage to lead him to the location of the treasure, and he's a happy happy little fake Shark. So happy, that he decides he's NOT going to kill her after all. OR her pretty pretty friend. However, when he asks Zinda if she would mind sharing, she loses it, and punches him in the mouth, even knocking out some of his teeth. Haw! Way to go, Zinda! Naturally enough, this pisses the little stinker off, and he's about to shoot her, when Huntress shows up and kicks his ass! Zinda is still a little befuddled due to the drug, but underneath it all, she's still Zinda, and when she locked Helena in that closet, she apparently also included a number of helpful items such as keys, her crossbow, quiver and some ancient candy. The bad guy is defeated, and Zinda and Helena stroll merrily off into the sunset.

Just as a little added bonus, Manhunter shows up! She's investigating Platinum Flats, which is some sort of Silicon Valley kind of place, running down Oracle's lead. And we see who is behind all the trouble. Maybe.

So...worth reading, certainly. I don't think that Mr. McKeever really has a handle on Oracle yet, but I suppose that the problem is moot anyway, since Tony Bedard is going to be coming back soon, and I rather liked his version. I'd really like Gail back, but I suppose that isn't going to be happening anytime soon. Of course, I think that I'd like for Gail to write MOST of my books, at least the ones not written by Geoff Johns, Greg Tomasi and John Rogers over at Blue Beetle, but hard as it may be for me to assimilate, the comicbook world does NOT revolve around me.

*sigh*

6 Comments:

At 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Babs *is* acting out of character, but that seems to be more "plot point" than "mischaracterization" by McKeever.

Regardless, I also am looking forward to Bedard becoming the regular writer. He deserves a regular gig after at least two stories that made me think "Oh, this series is in good hands!" only to find that he was merely the temporary substitute writer....

BTW, I liked the little touch of a couple of Killer Shark's broken teeth sticking in Zinda's hand after she knocked them out.

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Moriarty said...

Oracle is a SKRULL!!!

Oh wait...

 
At 5:42 AM, Blogger nicodemus88 said...

well not bad but not very good too...

I don't like the way Barb reacts, I don't like the use of Black Alice (oh Gail how I missed you...) but I am so fond of Zinda that she saves the book for me.

And matthew I thought the same thing, the big problem with this skrullmania is that everytime a character is not treated as it should be and acts supidly I think "it must be a skrull" and after "grr... no it's in DC so it just bad writing..."

Sally, please forgive me, I have not showed signs of life since quite a time but I read all the posts (laughing out loud for the dog shave by the way...), I am totally in love and it's quite a full time job for me... (you know sending text messages, mails and letter... god I could write a lot about this past post now!) but I will keep posting now...

n.

 
At 7:38 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Oh Nicodemus, you don't have to apologize!

And yes, Barbara is acting quite...odd.

The bit with the teeth in knuckles was a lovely touch. I also liked the shark-themed sub. Everyone should have one!

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

P'raps Birds of Prey is better off with Dinah after all. :-(

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger nicodemus88 said...

Well BoP can live without Dina , even if is surprised me (but maybe I have not really understand what you said Sea... by the way congrats for the little baby angel ! since I haven't ever post on your blog I didn't dare to do it... stupid of me) but grrrr I don't recognize the Dinah I loved from BoP in the Jla book.
I use this time to ask you all : is she more like "herself" in the Winnick's Green Arrow/Black Canary serie (I have learned to be quite prudent with him...)? and does it play with the little Sin girl?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home