Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Meh

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Saturday, March 08, 2008

Meh

While for the most part, my books were excellent this week, there were a couple that were on the..."eh" side for me. What was disappointing, is that they are books that I normally am very happy with.

I admit fully, that I am a latecomer to the All New Atom, but once I started picking it up, I enjoyed Gail Simone's writing enormously. Ryan is a great character, with an excellent supporting cast, and the level of humor was always high. I also fully admit to being very much in favor of fun in my books.

This week however, there was a new writer, by name of Rick Remender, and that sense of wonder and humor was pretty much missing. Ryan is worried about some stuff in his blood, which is interesting, but it was all getting rather dense and VERY wordy, and only the appearance of Head made it in any way lighter. It was lacking in that sense of zest and sparkle for me this week.

I love Jonah Hex, and I've been very happy with the series, but again, this week was something of a disappointment as well. I didn't like the art at all, it was busy and crowded, and didn't seem to flow very well. Also, at one point, after Hex has been captured by the Indian tribe living inside the Devil's Paw, and the annihilation of the original group of Pinkertons, ANOTHER group of Pinkertons is apparently getting ready to go and see what happened. Instead however, a troop of Cavalry show up and massacre the tribe, which doesn't make a lot of sense. Also, how is THIS bunch of soldiers that much better than the former soldiers who had been wiped out so handily? It was something of a confused jumble, and I didn't really get as much enjoyment out of it as usual.

I've been reading Countdown from the very beginning, and have been glad that things are picking up...finally. However, this issue, everyone just basically stood around and yelled at each other. Nobody DID anything.

Sorry to be so cranky. Maybe I'll go and read my back issues of Starman, that I just picked up. Wow! Those are fabulous!

6 Comments:

At 11:46 AM, Blogger Stephen said...

i agree with your assesment of hex and atom.

hex was off this week. as for atom it started off slow with way to much explanation and fake science. however as soon as head and pandagot into the mix they lightened it up and there exchange wasn't that bad. if remeder can chill with the the science and focus on the characters and supporting cast he might do ok. as for countdown i thought it was going to be a fight issue so iwas dissapointed with that, but all in all it felt like it was building to something and it let our heroes exchange information so not a total waste.

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger Siskoid said...

I'm on the same exact page re: All-New Atom. Everything interesting and fun seems to be on its way out to be replaced with this serious technobabble. The same hold true in the art, and I absolutely hate the lettering now.

Look at Brave and the Bold and how Waid made Simone's style on Atom part of his character (the way the narration works, the quotes). It's all gone now.

 
At 6:45 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Furthermore, it was all gone so...so abruptly! It's almost like getting whiplash, as the wit and fun just stopped! Thank goodness for the inclusion of Head and Panda, but still, it was much too techno-babbleish.

Gosh, I DO love the Brave & the Bold. Wonder Woman's magic earrings,and Green Arrow's reaction were a hoot.

 
At 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I would have stopped Countdown after the first few weeks of medicrity. But I just couldn't. I thought the book would improve but it didn't, it just hovered in it's own crap and now towards the tale end it starts to pick up. TSK TSK.

If Trinity is like Countdown in the first four weeks I will drop it. No joke.

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Heartiac. said...

At least we now know why Olsen is remotely important in Countdown. Actually it is genius on Darkseid's part to use him as his New God Power Basket.

Apparently Olsen is sticking around cause Johns and Robinson have "big plans for him." Sigh.

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Nate said...

Gosh, it's only taking 40+ weeks to finally explain those awful "Jimmy Olsen must die" t-shirts.

What awful storytelling.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home