Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: It...It's all TRUE!

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

It...It's all TRUE!

I have become a convert. For quite some time now, I have been reading the various blogs and interviews and so on, and the one great cry from the masses, concerning the recent Wedding between Green Arrow and Black Canary, was that Judd Winick was a dick.

I didn't really believe it. Surely, I thought to myself, this is just typical fanboy/fangirl bloviating. Maybe we don't agree with all the things that he has done, but is he really THAT bad?

Yes. Yes he is.

I just finished reading his interview over on Newsarama. He originally wanted to "kill" Dinah instead of Ollie. After all, what's one more woman in a fridge? Then he thought the current ending was edgier. I think I may be sick.

It was bad enough that he had the two coming to blows and then jumping each others bones. I've read cheesy romances in my day, so I guess that he has as well. I am able to suspend my disbelief to an alarming degree. I can rationalize all kinds of things. However, the fact that she had to "kill" him in order to stop him, has brought my suspension of disbelief to a crashing halt.

Please. There were fifty different ways for her to incapacitate him. If the plot required the disappearance of Ollie, well, there were a number of ways for that to happen as well. This was sloppy. BAD and sloppy. And I had rather been enjoying things up to the ending...although a major part of that enjoyment was due to the lovely art of Amanda Conner.

But the fact that Mr. Winick's first thought was to kill off Black Canary just repulses me. It is so wrong. And needless. And stupid. It's BAD WRITING! And I hates bad writing. So I guess that I've just joined the ranks of the "I hate Judd Winick" club. From what I gather, it has a LOT of members.

13 Comments:

At 1:46 PM, Blogger D said...

Yeah, I'm thinking of applying for my membership card as well.

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger FoldedSoup said...

Flipped through that at the store ... can't bring myself to buy anything written by Winick.

Yeah, that was a shock ending just for shock ending's sake. No thought behind it at all.

Bad, bad cliffhanger. Just bad.

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

OMFG. I am so glad I didn't read that interview because I wouldn't have been responsible for what I did after. But I'm grateful for the summary.

I've enjoyed a lot of Judd's work over the years, but the guy clearly has a warped mindset that seems to be getting worse.

I don't know what I'm going to do about the new book. I want to read it to see how it plays out because I love the characters and want Dinah and Ollie together, but I don't like reading crap.

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger Will Staples said...

Judd Winick sucks. I'm actually mildly ashamed to own the Checkmate/Outsiders crossover issues he co-wrote.

 
At 6:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the club!

Your fruit basket and a complementary Judd Winick voodoo doll should arrive within a week. :)

You are also entitled to borrow any of the festive anti-Judd Winick LJ icons soon to be appearing on my blog.

 
At 6:34 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

It's nice to know that I'm in such good company. Thank you all, and I'll be sticking pins in my Winick voodoo doll immediately.

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Marc Burkhardt said...

I think he's a bit embarrassed to write super-heroes. In the interview, he kept talking about "ridiculous" scenes and while the intent may be "over the top in a cool comic book way," it reads more like "this is stupid, but what the hey."

Plus, killing Black Canary would have been disastrous.

The guy should stick to Barry Ween and Juniper Lee.

 
At 12:14 AM, Blogger philippos42 said...

I have a couple of non-supertights comics by Judd Winick. They're, um, well, they're there. "Meh," might be too strong a description. I'm not a huge fan, but didn't he do that Outsiders comic with John Walsh of America's Most Wanted? That's a cool idea, I guess, but I don't know if it was any good.

I'm not familiar with his superhero stuff, but ignoring BC's primary schtick, GRAPPLING ARTS, is bad.

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger Dwayne "the canoe guy" said...

He killed Ollie?

yawn. Hasn't Ollie already been dead once before?

It's not like they stuffed him and put him on display in a freaking cafe or something.

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger Bully said...

My friend who has never read a superhero comic book told me twelve years ago "Yeah, Judd Winick's a dick."

She was basing it solely on his actions in The Real World San Francisco, but she pretty much called it first, didn't she?

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger David Uzumeri said...

You're angry at a writer because he rejected an idea you didn't like? Are you serious?

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger David Uzumeri said...

To expand, I still thought it was a ridiculous copout ending, but I don't think you can blame the guy for an idea he thought was bad himself.

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

I BEG your pardon?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home