Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Justice League of America

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Justice League of America

So...it has come to my attention that soon, Dwayne McDuffie is going to be the writer for JLA. I find this to be very welcome news. I like the JLA, but really, it could have been so much better. Mr. Meltzer seems to like his characters, but doesn't really seem to quite know what to do with them. Mr. McDuffie on the other hand is an excellent COMIC book writer, he knows how to come up with actual plots, how to advance the action, and even give proper motivation and characterization to his heroes. Plus, he can be funny as hell, when he likes. Seriously, find some of the old "Damage Control" books that he did way back when for Marvel, they are hilarious.

What DOES have my knickers in something of a twist was the belief expressed by some Neanderthals on various Message Boards, that Mr. McDuffie for some reason doesn't have the "right" to change any characters or alter the roll call in any way, and that furthermore, John Stewart "has his place, and it isn't in the JLA". I'm not really sure why I even bother reading some of the Message Boards anyway, because so often I'm driven into an incoherent inchoate rage.

Firstly, John is a wonderful character, and secondly, Mr. McDuffie has the right to bring in anybody that his little heart desires...just like all of the writers before him, and just like all the writers after him. ALL of the Green Lanterns have been members of the Justice League, not to mention Kilowog. The more GL's that show up, the better, in my opinion. Not that I am biased in favor of Green Lanterns or anything. *snerk*

Hal does have his own book, and John has been hard to find until lately, so it would be rather nice to have him in his own book. Besides, he's the smartest Lantern, and manages to keep his head, while others are losing theirs, so he'd be a terrific addition. Now Hal will have more time to go off and chase women. Or actually patrol his sector for a change.

Sorry to be so snarky, but this REALLY was bothering me.

10 Comments:

At 11:11 AM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

First off, you should never ever, read message boards. Let Graeme McMillan do that, so that he can safely report to us on their imbecility.

Secondly, if Meltzer can put Arsenal on the JLA, I think McDuffie is well within his right to bring John Stewart back. Seriously, if John was good enough for Joe Kelly, Claremont, and Busiek to use, why not for Dwayne McDuffie?

And why the hell is Firefox trying to spellcheck my comment?

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Derek said...

John Stewart "has his place, and it isn't in the JLA".

Woah, woah, woah. Is that a real quote? Because if so, then I agree with Calvin: You should stop reading the message boards.

Also in agreement that John should be the GL of the JLA. He was my favourite Lantern (Guy has beat him out recently with his appearances in Blue Beetle. That book makes everything wonderful) and I've been pretty disappointed by his absence from the DCU.

It seems like the only time he's even mentioned is when the writers want to drop a name for who designed the new JSA brownstone or JLA headquarters.

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Dwayne "the canoe guy" said...

Firefox automatically goes into spellcheck mode whenever you have a tater tot lodged in your USB port.

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

Yeah, I don't read message boards for exactly the reasons you give. I love all of the GLs, and I have no problem whatsoever with ANY of them being members of the JLA. If a writer wants to replace Hal with John, fine with me. I'd be equally happy with Kyle or Guy, or with just keeping Hal. However, I do think it would be nice to have John in the JLA right now, instead of Hal, simply because John is the only Earth GL who isn't being regularly featured in another title. Hal has Green Lantern. Guy has Green Lantern Corps. Kyle is being featured in Countdown. Let John have Justice League. The more coverage that the various Corps members get, the better!

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Moriarty said...

I agree that McDuffie should feel free to use whatever GL he wants. His work on Justice League Unlimited shows he like to write for John. I guess the only reason I would be unhappy about replacing Hal with John in the JLA is that it seems like a real loss of opportunity for character interaction without Hal.

It seems like a nice little clique was being set up with Dinah, Roy and now Wally coming back, that losing "Uncle" Hal from the equation would be kind of sad. I'd miss some of the possible character pieces that could come from the foursome that John just can't provide because of Hal's history.

That being said, I don't see any reason why two GLs can't be in the same book. I always like seeing Hal and John work together on things. Or even if they both kind of float in and out of each comic depending on which story is most appropriate for them. But yeah... that was a pretty ridiculous comment on whatever message board you were reading. Some people just like to bitch for no particular reason.

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

As long as Roy stays on the team, I'm good. And much as I think Hal belongs on the JLA, same as Brad got to put his team together, another writer always has the right to change it, provided the PTB approve.

I think the problem a lot of people have with Meltzer is that his pacing is more suited for novels, not comics. But I love his plotting.

 
At 5:50 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

Hey, Sally, I gotta great scan for you. Click HERE to see Power Girl clocking Hal. :-)

 
At 6:27 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Yes, Derek, that was an actual quote. I have to admit that it caused my jaw to hang open in a very unbecoming manner.

And Sea, thank you, that was a LOVELY picture of Peej clocking Hal. Heh heh.

I don't see any reason why John and Hal can't both be in the JLA either, they do work very well together. Heck, if it were up to me, I'd have ALL the lanterns.

And Shelly, I agree, we need to keep Roy. 'Cause he's just so cute. Geoforce on the other hand, is a twit.

 
At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Including Mogo?
I'm all in favor of that.

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

Yes, Geoforce adds nothing to the team. If he were gone, I doubt he'd be missed. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home