Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Review: Green Lantern Corps #5

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Review: Green Lantern Corps #5

Well...I am mildly bemused, but not enthralled. The whole setup with Bolphunga just seemed to peter out, instead of being the huge smashing fight that I was primed for. And quite frankly, Bolphunga the Unrelenting seemed to be a bit of a doofus. I did enjoy Guy scampering about and humiliating him without his ring, which shows quite a bit of enterprise on the part of our Mr. Gardner, but I didn't like the twist where...wait for it...Salakk comes in as the deus ex machina and saves Guy at the last minute...especially because Guy had gotten his ring back and didn't NEED to be saved. Salakk really seemed to gloat about it too, and he brought a couple of recent recruits who also seemed to find the prospect of having to rescue Guy to be too funny for words. More and more, Salakk seems to be doing everything he can to undermine whatever authority or prestige that Guy has, and I want him to stop. Forgive me, but didn't Guy rescue Salakk from slavery a while back afer Hal/Parallax wiped out the Corps? Harummph.

I did find the idea of Salakk making time with the tiger twins mildy amusing, but I don't think that Guy was too upset since he had just found out that they were androids, and I don't think that he swings that way. Guy didn't even seem particularly upset, just flew off on his new mission.

The supblot with Isamot and Vath seems mildly interesting, but I was crushed to find out that Isamot DIDN'T make out with his mate, since it seemed that any redblooded lizard would go for sex first, world-saving second. Guess that's what makes them
heroes. It was nice to see Soranik with Mogo, but what the heck is she doing back on Korugar? They don't have any other doctors?

So, I guess it was...ok. I was expecting a little more and it didn't really deliver, but I'm hoping for better things next episode. I love Guy and I love the whole Green Lantern Corps concept, but I do miss Kilowog. More Kilowog!

2 Comments:

At 9:18 PM, Blogger Queer Legion (QL) said...

I found the whole thing to be a fairly amusing 2 issue arc. It was a nice change of pace. I was glad that the fight between Guy and Bolphunga (what a name!) was more farce than fight; it seemed to keep things in the right spirit of the two issues.

As for Salakk's behavior, I missed a big chuck of GL history (like from 1985-2004), so it wasn't off for me. The Salakk I remember from the 80's was a bit of an *sshole, so he's been right in character for me. (The panel with him and the fembots was a real laugh! I wanted to say, "Psst, they're robots you know.")

As for the subplots, I thought Isamot's abandoning his desire for "sweet lizard sex" and helping out Vath was a real watershed moment for their relationship. (Though I would imagine Isamot'll be sleeping on the rock in living room when he gets back to his lizard gal.)

And Soranik on Korugar: Yeah, you'd think there would be at least ONE other person on the planet that would be up for the job. But I guess it falls in the same category as Andy Brown on "Everwood" being the ONLY neurosurgeon that could perform which ever of the various plot-driving surgeries he performed!

Keep up the good reviews! Maybe there'll be a new "Green Lantern" out before the end of the year! :)

 
At 6:50 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

I believe that Geoff Johns and Ethan Van Sciver are creating a Green Lantern annual, which will be delightful.

I didn't hate this issue of GLC, I just wish that Guy had been able to get in his licks first.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home