Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: It's NOT just Comic fans who are rude!

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Monday, April 12, 2010

It's NOT just Comic fans who are rude!

Two letters to the editor in my local newspaper have confirmed my suspicion that it isn't ONLY Comic book fans who are nuts. One person wrote in that they had bought expensive tickets to a Red Sox game at Fenway, but with all the hollering and beer drinking and general carrying on by the fans, that it was practically impossible to actually see the game. This letter was replied too, by another letter to the editor...basically taking the first letterwriter to task. It was the sworn DUTY of all Red Sox fans to make flaming asses of themselves, and the first person should have felt priviledged...nay HONORED to have their view obstructed by people going for beer. There was a great deal more of the same.

It all sounded so...so familiar! Apparently any mildly expressed annoyance, or hope for something better brings out the kind of people who resist any sort of change, and view criticism as blasphemy.

And lest I be accused of misandry, BOTH of the letter writers were in fact women. So I can't help but feel a little bit relieved. I occasionaly think that it's just Comic book fans who are crazy, but there are all KINDS of genres just as nuts as we are. It...it just makes me want to start a flame war for the hell of it!

8 Comments:

At 4:54 PM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

Heck, compared to hard-core, foaming-at-the-mouth sports fans, comic book geeks are asleep! :-)

Of course, it also depends on the team. Take Big Ten college football, for example. No one -- and I mean, NO ONE -- in the Big Ten is more obnoxious than an Ohio Buckeyes fan. NO ONE. And most Buckeyes will freely admit it. It's almost a point of pride for them to be utter jerks. :-)

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger poops said...

Although I myself am not a huge sports fan, I've found myself surrounded by some great buddies who are MANIACAL when it comes to the Sox or the Pats!

What I've observed is that a grown man (or woman) can completely lose their sh*t in public about a bad call from an umpire, and it's perfectly acceptable. If I, on the other hand, storm into work on a Thursday morning all pissed off about the awful direction that Green Arrow is being taken in, I tend to get some seriously odd looks!

It forces all of us comic nerds in the closet, so we can only vent online or at the local shop. My theory is that all of that aggression gets pent-up and comes across as far more biting and snarky that it really should be.

Though now that I think about it, wouldn't it be awesome if more fist fights broke out at public events because some DC fan saw some other guy wearing a Spider-Man shirt?!

And while we're at it, I should note that I take a lot of heat from my friends for reading comics, yet no one makes fun of fantasy football or baseball leagues!...Dungeons & Dragons for jocks, as far as I'm concerned!

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger LissBirds said...

"It was the sworn DUTY of all Red Sox fans to make flaming asses of themselves, and the first person should have felt priviledged...nay HONORED to have their view obstructed by people going for beer." Ha! As an occasional Yankee fan, I shall refrain from commenting...

poops, I like your theory that things sound snarkier online becuase there's no other outlet. I've re-read blog posts of mine and I just sound so angry.

"Though now that I think about it, wouldn't it be awesome if more fist fights broke out at public events because some DC fan saw some other guy wearing a Spider-Man shirt?!" Who-hoo!! Fight! Fight! Fight! And after that's done, let's sic the Star Wars and Star Trek fans at each other, too!!

 
At 5:49 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

Part of it also has to do with how each "hobby" is presented. Sports are always LIVE and are watched by fans either on TV or in person. The very proximity of such action is more than enough to whip fans into a frenzy.

Now imagine being able to watch super-heroes and super-villains pounding the heck out of each other LIVE. :-) Viewer frenzies? Oh, you betcha!

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

If they put wrestlers in Green Lantern outfits, you'd better believe that I would watch it.

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Liss, I forgive you for being a Yankees fan. I do have a tiny crush on Andy Pettite. He has such nice lips.

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger LissBirds said...

Haha...thank you, Sally. I used to be an Orioles fan, but then Cal Ripken retired and they kinda just fell apart. But I do still occasionally feel joy when the Yankees lose. But I'll always pick them over the Sox.

Now, would that be WWF wrestling or Greco-Roman wrestling, Sally? I'd almost want to see the latter...

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Wrecko-Groman Wrestling. That's how they do it on Oa.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home