Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: A Heck of an Anniversary

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A Heck of an Anniversary

Today marks the 150th anniversary of the shelling of Fort Sumter, and the first shots of the American Civil War. Which quite frankly,was MUCH better written than the one by Marvel. I find myself quite agog at the impending four year commemoration, because in addition to being a Comic Book Fan, I am also something of a Civil War buff.

I had ancestors that fought on both sides of the war, which makes it rather interesting. I'm related to Robert E. Lee through my maternal Grandmother, although by the time of the war, our branch of the family had been long settled in Maryland, and gone to the bad to become rabid Abolitionists...at least according to their Virginia cousins. On my father's side, I had good stolid Indiana farm boys who marched with Sherman. So...I've always found it interesting.

It's fun to compare certain generals to certain of my comic book favorites, which some would probably consider close to blasphemy, but what the heck. Batman is the closest to Robert E. Lee, if only because he always had a plan. Guy Gardner makes a wonderful William Tecumpseh Sherman, who had red hair, and was ALSO considered crazy, at least in the early part of the war, and who turned out to be far more clever and competent than anyone expected. Hal would make a perfect George Armstrong Custer, who never had a plan and always charged, no matter what, and always seemed to be a whole lot luckier than he deserved.

At this point, my inspiration is runnign out, although I suppose that Farragut or Porter would make a nice Aquaman. Are there any other Civil War fans out there? To whom would you compare YOUR favorite generals and heroes?

9 Comments:

At 11:59 PM, Blogger MetFanMac said...

Ambrose Burnside = G'nort. :-)

 
At 4:54 AM, Blogger TotalToyz said...

I think Hal would make a better Joseph Hooker.

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Patrick C said...

Might be a little too obvious, but what about Amanda "the Wall" Waller as Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson. Both hyper-competent and not liked by their peers, but respected for getting results. And I can see the Wall being taken down by friendly fire.

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Burnside as G'nort? Well you know...that actually might work. Poor old Burside.

I totally could see Hooker as Hal. They were both incredibly cocksure and convinced that they were the absolute bee's knees' as it where.

Waller as Jackson? I could definitely see Waller taken out by "friendly" fire, except that in her case, it wouldn't necessarily be an accident.

I'm still trying to find someone crazy enough to be John Bell Hood.

 
At 5:00 AM, Blogger TotalToyz said...

I totally could see Hooker as Hal. They were both incredibly cocksure and convinced that they were the absolute bee's knees' as it where.

All I really know about Hooker is his penchant for anything in a skirt, which is why I suggested Hal.

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Well, there's that aspect as well. They didn't call all of the Soiled Doves in Washington Hooker's Brigade for nothing!

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger LissBirds said...

Funny, I was musing the other day about Colonial history (I'm a Revolutionary War buff) and if I could get any parallels of the Founders to the JLA. I so didn't want to make Superman Washington, so I just made him J'onn. And that's as far as I got!

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Now that's an interesting idea!

 
At 5:06 AM, Blogger TotalToyz said...

He's not well known outside Delaware, but Declaration-signer Caesar Rodney suffered from a facial cancer that was so disfiguring, he wore a cloth over half of his face to hide it. Paging Mr. Dent.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home