Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Whither the JLI?

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, April 07, 2011

Whither the JLI?

So...my next subject, is what the heck is going to happen to the JLI after Justice League: Lost Generation ends in a couple of weeks? All I know, is that I don't want it to end, because as much as I have screamed, yelled and downright fulminated over Winick's...unique approach, these are STILL some of my absolute favorite characters in all the world.

On the bright side, DC is going to be doing the Retro stuff in a few months, putting old artists and writers back on their signature books, in order to tell yet one more story from the olden days. Whether this is supposed to be a mini-series or simply a one-shot deal, I am not sure. BUT...Giffen and DeMatteis are supposed to write a 90's JLI story and Kevin Maguire is supposed to draw it...so I am simply in heaven. I assume it will be on the order of "Formerlly Known as the Justice League", but set actually DURING the Justice League.

So there's that.

But seriously, I do hope with all my might, that they don't drop these characters back into limbo. I was a little bit encouraged by the appearance of Fire, in the 80 page JLA Giant book that came out this week. I wasn't expecting her, and it was a nice treat.

If they DO create a new book, I definitely hope that Winick won't be the one writing it. As a matter of fact, in the Previews, I saw that he's going to be writing Batman & Robin,which rather surprised me, as I thought that Peter Tomasi and Pat Gleason were on that book. But if Winick is writing, then I certainly would not be adverse to Tomasi OR Gleason taking over a JLI book! Of course, at this point all that I can do is speculate.

cover

But you know...there is an awful lot of affection out there in fandom for these characters. They could even bring a few of them back from the dead, and I don't think that anyone would complain. If we had to stick to a living group, I would keep the bunch that they used in Lost Generation...Booster, Fire, Ice, Gavril, Blue Beetle, and yes, even Captain Shinypants. They would have to bring in Guy and J'onn of course, and I wouldn't object to Power Girl. Man, it would be awesome.

AWESOME!

What would some of your favorite lineups be? Keeping in mind of course, that at this point, this is purely hypothetical?

10 Comments:

At 12:49 PM, Blogger Erin S. said...

I'm afraid that ever since FKATJL I haven't been that fond of Giffin and DeMatteis' newer stuff. But that's a whole another topic.

I'd want the same cast of Booster, Jaime, Cap, Ice, Fire, RR, Skeets, and Power Girl. The fact that the JSA writer claims he's borrowing PG bodes well. Have to see what they do with J'onn and Guy but I'd at least like them to appear.

BTW was the 80 page comic good? I heard it wasn't but I'm curious since Oracle and Booster appear in a story together.

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger Gary said...

Yeah, I'd want the same JL:GL line-up to continue, including Power Girl. Be nice to have J'onn on board as well.

I think Guy's ending up in the new Red Lantern book - at least that's my suspicion.

And Erin? The JLA 80-Page Giant was simply awful. Worst comic I've read in a long time.

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger TotalToyz said...

DC is going to be doing the Retro stuff in a few months, putting old artists and writers back on their signature books, in order to tell yet one more story from the olden days.

I hadn't heard about this! What else is going to be included?

Sadly, a lot of the artists I'd like to see return to their signature books are now using clouds for drawing tables (Gil Kane, Jim Aparo, Marshall Rodgers).

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

I have to admit for a sneaking fondness for 80 page giant stories, no matter HOW nonsensical they may be. This one had various members of the Justice League in pairs on the various levels of Hell. It was a rather oddball combination of characters, that's for certain, with Batman and Plastic Man, Fire and Lobo of all people, and Booster and Oracle. It wasn't...terrible, but neither was it particularly terrific.

Booster WAS heroic though. And I'm always so happy to see certain characters that I'll sit through practically anything.

Toyz, if you go on the DC Universe site, they have the whole story. They are reuniting creators with their books from the 70's, 80's and 90's and up I believe, so it has the potential to be a heck of a lot of fun.

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Erin S. said...

Thanks for letting me know. I'm on the fence since the cost already has me wanting an excuse not to buy it. But Booster is my weakness, I love reading about him and have been waiting to see him interact with Babs.

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Skeets is there too!

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Erin S. said...

I know, Boosterrific.com mentioned that along with them being in a certain level of hell that's interesting. How he wants to be needed instead of wanting glory? I'm guessing it's the only part I'd like of the book.

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Well, Booster does have this habit of being underestimated by everyone. He really just wants a hug.

 
At 11:28 PM, Blogger LissBirds said...

Giffen and DeMatteis and Maguire are coming back? I didn't know this! Nor did I know about all the "retro" books. Wow!

Now I'm tempted to by the awful JLA 80-page giant, just becuase Booster's in it. Or maybe I'll just have to be satisfied with Booster showing up on Smallville...I'm keeping my hopes guarded about that, too.

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger TotalToyz said...

Meh. I looked at the list, and nothing excites me. Len Wein was great back in the day, but his recent stuff left me cold (I suspect he was "writing down" to the modern audience). How could Steve Englehart be left out of tributes to the 70s Batman and JLA?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home