Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: A Ton of Reviews

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, July 29, 2010

A Ton of Reviews

Man, that was some week!

Let us begin with Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne #4. In this issue, we have a Western Batman, going up against Jonah Hex of all people. It was excellent of course, although I do have to say that I preferred the artwork in the Pirate Batman issue. Still...not bad. There is a lynching, Bats in a cowboy hat flinging batarangs right and left, Vandal Savage, and a slightly befuddled Jonah Hex, who nevertheless gets the job done.

Batman: Streets of Gotham #14. This is actually from last week, but I somehow managed to forget to pick it up. It has Hush, and his fantasies of killing off all of the Justice League, and a rather nice Two-Face story, both of which are pretty darned good.

The Flash #4. Oh, and the plot begins to thicken. Barry is still running around being incredibly heroic, which impresses the Top from the Future, so he spills the beans about how and why Barry supposedly goes bad. It involves Iris, and it ain't pretty. Also, Capt. Boomerang shows up and displays why he's still a badass.

Green Lantern #56. More on this tomorrow, but let me just say that I snickered my way through this entire issue. Fabulous! AND hilarious.

Green Lantern Corps #50. Oh gadzooks, all KINDS of exciting things are going on. More anon.

Gotham City Sirens #14. I have to admit that I'm getting a kick out of this book. Poison Ivy establishes a fragile alliance with the employee that she had tried to fire the day before, as they discover exactly what the heck is going on at Star Labs. Lots of betrayals, aliens and plant...stuff.

Jack of Fables #46. Slightly disjointed. Did I miss an issue or something? Suddenly young Jack is in the future with an eyepatch, and thinking of hanging up his heroics. The three sexy Page sisters show up, although I would assume that they are still in the other universe, looking for REAL books. Jack the Dragon and Gary are quite amusing, as is Babe. Still a good book, although slightly confusing. I'm sure it will all make sense eventually.

Justice League: Generation Lost #6. This issue focuses mainly on Captain Shinypants, aka Atom, and I have to say that I'm starting to really get into this series. Although I'm STILL a little cranky about the way that Ice has been portraye. Still, not a single curse word out of her this week! Capt. Atom was somehow blown into a different era when he absorbed the fallout from Max's little surprise bomb. He thought that somehow he had wound up in the past, which surprises him, but he turns out to be even MORE astonished,when he realizes he's in the future, and that all the heroes have been killed, with the exception of Power Girl, who is old and raddled, but still mostly coherent. It's all Max's fault of course, which is why, when he gets back to the present, he's so adamant about going after him. So...good stuff.

Justice League of America #47. This book continues with all the trouble that the Starheart is causing, any heroes with powers even remotely magical are going nutso, and Alan Scott the most so. The JLA and the JSA are fighting the good fight, but not necessarily getting anywhere. Faust Jr., Wildcat and Jay have figured out from talking to "Alan" that he's been mostly posessed by the Starheart, which is having itself a fine old time. Jade is trying to help, and Obsidian is trying to woo her over to their side, when suddenly who should show up from Oa? Oh, guess. It's going to be a whole lotta fun next issue, that's for sure!

Oh, and there is a back-up story with Red Tornado and Cyborg, which I only skimmed, because those two have to be about the two most boring characters in the world to me. Well...except for Geoforce.

Thor: The Mighty Avenger #2. This is adorable. Its's written by Roger Langridge, and drawn by Chris Samnee, and it's something of an elseworlds take on Thor, and I'm loving every single page of it. It...it's just cute, dammit! And fun!

Thor #612. This is not cute. Nor particularly fun, but it is interesting, as Thor has to go to Hell to fight the Disir, and a whole lot of shenanigans are going on.

Wonder Woman #601. Despite my original apprehensions, I did pick this up. If you look at the whole thing as another Elseworlds story, it's just fine. And there are certain parts which say that this is a different story from the REAL story, so it's not too horribly bad. I still don't much like the new outfit, but I guess I'll stick with it for now and see where it all goes.

Oh, and I forgot the New Green Arrow book, which was...pretty good! I was surprised too. Hal had shown up last week, and in the magical forest, technology doesn't seem to work, so his ring isn't functioning. That doesn't stop Hal from using his fists and a wooden club on some bad guys that keep showing up to take out Ollie. Ollie has managed to make himself a regular Hobbit's lair and seems to be enjoying himself to a certain degree. He IS going to have one heck of a headache though from that last page.

And finally, in several of the books, there was a sneak peek at the new Green Lantern: Emerald Warrior book that is going to be arriving triumphantly in August. It...it was as though they made it JUST FOR ME!!! A scene of Guy in his underwear! A spectacular ass shot! Riding a motorcycle construct to pull over some escaping thieves! I can hardly wait.
Photobucket


Did you all enjoy YOUR books?

11 Comments:

At 1:39 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

Thanks for keeping me up to speed on what I'm not reading. I'm glad you enjoyed WW and I eagerly await the return of the "real" Diana so I can start reading the book again. ;)

I didn't get to read what I did buy yet. Soon, I hope. Still have reviews from last week and the week before to post. *sigh*

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Sometimes real life just has this way of getting in the way of reading your comics!

Wonder Woman wasn't great, as in Gail Simone great...but it wasn't terrible either. I just keep repeating that it is all taking place in an alternate reality.

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

Real life needs to give me time to catch up with my reading. ;)

I'm glad to know WW didn't suck. Gail is always a tough act to follow.

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger Aaron said...

Nice to know I'm not the only one who skims backups that don't interest me, though sometimes it's the backups that interest me more - and I'm kinda glad backups came back.

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger Duskdog said...

Tora didn't say a single curseword in Generation Lost because I don't think she had any lines period. :( Still, Bea actually got a chance to sound competent at the beginning, and as much as I dislike Captain Shinypants, I'm still quite interested in what happens next.

Emerald Warriors preview finally gives us a nice mostly-naked Guy, and they put him in butt-ugly boxers! I like to think that Tora gave them to him, though, and that's why he wears them. (In exchange, though, she had to promise to wear the underwear that he gave to her... oh mercy.)

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

Guy's just jealous because he found out about the grand ol' time Hal had with Lobo's motorcycle. ;-)

The JSA/JLA "Starheart" story IS interesting so far, but, geez, can we go one year without having a Green Lantern go crazy on everyone? I guess someone thought Alan was due. :-\

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger MetFanMac said...

Can anyone tell what Guy has on his boxers? It's been bugging me for no apparent reason.

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

I was rather wondering about that myself, Mac. You can see that there IS a pattern of some kind, but I can't really tell. And trust me...I've examined it quite closely. It's not little Green Lanterns though.

Didn't Guy used to HAVE Lobo's old motorcycle on display at Warriors before it was blown up, Sea?

Duskdog, I'm sure that Guy's taste in lingerie is...quite interesting.

Heh.

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

By golly, I think you're right. Guy did have a bike on display, actually -- or at least one of them. I assume Lobo goes through quite a few motorcyles and keeps backups SOMEwhere. ;-) Ah, but did Guy ever take it for a joyride? I can't imagine him not being tempted by the idea!

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger LissBirds said...

Y'know, as soon as I saw that preview of Emerald Warriors with Guy standing on the balcony, I immediately thought of you, Sally.

 
At 6:26 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Isn't it just so...perfect?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home