Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: My OTHER Love

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Saturday, March 06, 2010

My OTHER Love

It is no secret that I am a Green Lantern Fan. I just really really like Green Lanterns. Heck, I like ALL Superheroes. But I have to admit that there is another genre that holds a special little place in my heart...and that is Westerns.

I love Jonah Hex. I like Zorro and the Lone Ranger. I like practically ALL Westerns. I grew up watching Westerns on television.

But my all-time, absolute favorite Western has to be Lt. Blueberry. If you haven't heard of it, you are not alone. It IS French, and was written for years before his death, by Jean Michel Charlier, and drawn by Jean Giraud, AKA Moebius. You may have heard of HIM!

Here's a little peek at some of the artwork.

Photobucket

Stunning. Simply stunning.

The various stories have been collected over the years. Epic, from Marvel put out a bunch that are very nice, and actually in English, which makes it a whole lot easier to read. The really early ones are a bit tougher to find, but I remain hopeful. It is nice to see Moebius' artwork progress from fairly rough and amateur to the masterpieces that he eventually evolved. And while they take a slightly cavalier attitude towards history, they DO oddly enough stay fairly true to reality and even use actual historical characters pretty faithfully.

I think I'll go read some right now.

4 Comments:

At 9:54 AM, Blogger James Ashelford said...

That looks gorgeous, I'll have to check this out. I grew up on Westerns, too, Channel Four used to show loads of them before school like Rawhide and Alias Smith and Jones.

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Saranga said...

pretty! but i've never really got westerns.
do you speak french, sally?

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Very little I'm afraid. I have a French dictionary, and can sort've fake it, while looking at the art on the page, to figure out what is going on, more or less. It's funny that they always have the swear words in English.

Fortunately, I mostly have the English translations, which are excellent.

These are a little hard to find, but if you do run across any of them, they are simply beautiful, and have a crackerjack storyline.

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

Wow, that art is indeed gorgeous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home