Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Wednesday Reviews

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Wednesday Reviews

Well blow me down, but it was a great Wednesday. Blackest Night, Green Lantern Corps AND Booster Gold, all in one week. Be still my heart.

I actually went out and bought a Batman book...more specifically, Blackest Night: Batman and dagnabit, it was GOOD! That could possibly be because Peter Tomasi wrote it, and he is rapidly becoming one of my favorites. Deadman shows up, and all sorts of interesting things are revealed. And really, Damian, punching someone who is driving a car going 80 miles an hour is a monumentally STUPID thing to do.

Two thumbs up!

Blackest Night #2. Oh God, I have missed Ivan Reis, and that's one pretty pretty cover. Well, Hal is pretty, all the revenant heroes are pretty disgusting...but still in a beautifully drawn sort of way. Revenant, by the way, is what Scipio is calling the Black Lanterns, and I think that it's a great word AND description. I'll get around to reviewing this in more depth later on, but boy howdy!

Twelve thumbs up!

Booster Gold #23. Heh. Love the cover. I WANT one of those t-shirts. The Black Beetle is trying to change the future, Rip and Booster are trying to stop him, with a certain lack of success so far. Man, that Black Beetle is just a PAIN! In the new time-line, Kyle Rayner never became a Green Lantern, and the JLA and the Teen Titans are all dead, so Trigon...yes, Raven's daddy...has managed to conquer earth. This should be interesting.

As for Jaime, in the Blue Beetle backup, more shenanigans are occuring. That crazy robot guy has been sprung from jail by his daughter, whom it turns out, is really just a robot with feelings. Brenda pours out her feelings, so Paco is feeling pretty puffed up, and Jaime manages to pull out a few wires. Then the Black Beetle shows up and rains on their parade. Man, I really dislike that guy. The scarab continues to be unnusually bloodthirsty, which I am finding to be a bit off-putting. I rather miss the OLD scarab, who may have been a little nuts, but at least had a certain wit and humor. But still, a lot of fun.

Fables #87 is good as usual. The Crossover is over, which is just as well, but still Fabletown is in a shambles, Bufkin and Frankenstein's head are trapped in the old office, and the Dark Guy is lurking. Frau Totenkinder has been gently told that perhaps it is time for her to step aside for someone a little younger, and the North Wind's grandchildren fill him in on their latest babysitting experience with Jack. Good stuff.

Final Crisis Aftermath: Escape #4. I will freely admit that I haven't the foggiest idea of what is going on, but hey, there is a whole lot of Fire burning stuff up,and good gosharootie, I do love that. I miss Fire.

Green Lantern Corps #39. Every month, I gasp with awe and wonder, and think to myself, how...HOW can Tomasi and Gleason possibly top themselves? Well, every month, they go ahead and do it. More on this later as well...once I've had a chance to read it twelve more times.

Thirteen thumbs up!

The Incredible Hercules #132. Man I do get a chuckle out of this book. Hercules' comments on Thor's "origin" at the very beginning are quite the hoot. His relationship with a newly reborn Zeus is also wonderful. Zeus may only be a kid, but he's still a jerk. He even hits on his own daughter! Oh those wacky Greeks. When Herc is recruited by "Balder" to pretend to be Thor in order to fight some trolls or elves or whatever, he asks whay Thor did in order to be tossed out of Asgard. When informed that he killed his own grandfather in battle, his reply is a shrug, and a grin. "THAT'S all? Ah, you Norsemen, getting worked up over nothing. Why the heads of OUR Pantheon are almost ALWAYS slain by their sons"

He has a point.

JSA vs Kobra #3 This is pretty good. Not spectacular, but pretty decent. And look, Sandy shows up and even DOES something for a change! Woohoo! And they end up going to Opal City, and I always like Opal. I still think that the Justice Society should be wiping the floor with these losers, but I suppose that they are trying to build up the suspense.

So, an incredibly enjoyable week. I've run out of thumbs.

silly

10 Comments:

At 10:53 PM, Blogger Duskdog said...

I'm bouncing off the walls with excitement even though I've already read all my comics this week...

...except where Kyle Rayner is concerned. Ooh, Kyle, I hope Soranik throttles you!

 
At 12:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The shirt DOES actually exist.

 
At 1:56 AM, Blogger MetFanMac said...

"Revenants"? Somebody's been reading Girl Genius.

...Not that there's anything wrong with that. :)

 
At 3:17 AM, Anonymous wik said...

oh, man... loved the little flourishes and touches that made the characters interesting in BN#2... like Don Hall at peace refusing to take the ring; Phantom Stranger having nothing of either Death or Life.
And of course, Hal returning to consciousness by focussing on the 'pretty redhead' :D Some things never change...

 
At 4:32 AM, Anonymous wik said...

speaking of little touches, was rereading GLC and just noticed Guy/Iolande's (well, seems more like something Guy would do) little 'K/S' in a heart with a Cupid figure. I loved it, although Kyle really should have found a better thing to lie about. Sure, he did it to protect Soranik's feelings, but when she finds out... as though her daddy dearest wasn't enough for Kyle to worry about.
And someone needs to start that Booster Gold website with updates on all our favourite heroes and villains, especially Booster Gold :P

 
At 6:25 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

Regarding GLC -- what if SORANIK didn't see what she claimed to see, either? ;-)

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Duskdog said...

I've considered that too, Sea, and I think it might actually be cool is she lied, too. Though the question, of course, is who did she see?

I'm sort of hoping Iolande.

But either way, Kyle is still a bad boy in my book right now. And as usual, Guy is dispensing the wisdom in his own very special fashion.

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

I did notice the little cupid with Kyle and Soranik's initials. Typical Guy, I guess.

Yup, I'm a little disappointed in Kyle. He basically lied in order to get into Soranik's pants? That's...that's such a HAL thing to do. If Soranik lied too, then I must say, I would find that to be hilarious. But Guy also has a point about being with someone who is alive. Of course he's lucky. HIS girl came back from the dead the GOOD way!

I really really want one of those Booster Gold shirts.

 
At 2:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.graphittidesigns.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=63704&cat=

 
At 3:55 AM, Anonymous wik said...

Awesome! :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home