Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: A Reasonably Interesting Week

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Friday, January 25, 2008

A Reasonably Interesting Week

There were some pretty good books out this week. There were some duds too, but I imagine that's true just about every week.

Blue Beetle of course was just spectacular. It really is one of the very best books being put out right now, the art is fun, the plots are wonderful, the dialogue is great, and he has one of the best supporting casts ever. Read it. You won't be sorry.

Wonder Woman was great too. All kinds of stories coming together, with the flashbacks to Diana's birth, and the dire situation currently taking place on Themyscira. The art was lovely as usual. Throw in some Nazis and talking Gorillas, and it all just gets even better!

I seem to remember whining a bit about how much I missed the old Damage Control mini-series. My prayers have been answered, because Mr. McDuffie is writting a new one. Woohoo! We have the whole crew back too. Mrs. Hoag, Albert, John and Robin. AND Eugene! Crazy crazy Eugene. I'm so happy, I could cry. This is going to be good. The Thunderbolts show up at the end, and you just KNOW they are going to be getting their well-deserved comeuppance...somehow.

Teen Titans is a bit of a disappointment. I really have only been picking this up because Blue Beetle is in it, but all the stress, and whining and angst is getting annoying. I also think that Ravager is a bitch, and Cassie has her moments too. Jaime is the intelligent one in the bunch...with the exception of Tim of course, but I'm even a bit annoyed with Tim. Jaime should stay as far away from this bunch of losers as possible. Maybe he could go and hang out with the Justice Society. Ma Hunkle could make him cookies, and he could hang with Courtney and Hunkel Jr.

JLA Classified was pretty good. Always nice to see the old bunch in action. John Byrne is even good on the art. He draws a very pretty Hal.

The Punisher was the most violent thing that I have read in a very long time. Good though. Am I a bad person because the thing with the pliers made me snicker?

Countdown to Myster continues to be pretty darned good. I'm having a lot of fun with the new Dr. Fate. And I'm glad that Jean Loring is no longer Eclipso. Let's face it, Jean was scary enough on her own.

Astonishing X-Men was astonishingly dull...at least for me. I started out with the highest of hopes for this book. The art by John Cassaday has been lovely, and it all started out so nicely. But the scheduling makes it hard to remember exactly just what happened three months or so ago in the last issue, and I really am finding that I don't give a tinker's damn about Ord and his bloody planet. In fact I'm rather bored with the X-Men altogether, and that is something that would have been unthinkable for me a few years ago.

I have been going out and getting the trades for the New Atom, and they are a hoot. Gail Simone, I love you.

7 Comments:

At 7:08 PM, Blogger Gus Casals said...

You know Sally, I live in Argentina, and american comics have got awfully expensive over here, so I shamelessly and guiltlessly download.
Yet, even though I'm not paying, I only stick to my faves ( Legion, BoP ) or special events ( Countdown ).

As an avid blog reader, though, I'm getting the feeling that I'm missing the boat with Beetle, as I did with Manhunter. Maybe I should do some back searching.

( for the record, I did go to a local comic shop this week to pick up a couple of Manhunter TPBs, only to find that a) they were not available and b) the price was cover price times 5. And the local post office stole my last couple of Amazon orders, so download I guess it is...)

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

Snickering at how Frank Castle uses pliers does not make you bad; it just means you have a strong constitution.

I looked through this week's Teen Titans and well, it all seems so joyless. I thought the Titans were a team of kids that hung out together because they liked each other. Not everyone got along, but by and large, they understood each other and the Tower was a safe haven. I read this issue and wondered why any of them stay, they all seem to hate it so much.

 
At 6:04 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Gustavo, I'm sorry that the books are so expensive, so I don't blame you in the least for trying to find a less costly way to read.

I too, wasn't quite sure about Blue Beetle at the very beginning...(I AM a Ted Kord fan afterall) but after a couple of months, I realized just what it was that I was missing. It's clever, it's witty, it's just plain darned FUN!

(Oh, and Manhunter is good too.)

Calvin, I think I'm dumping Teen Titans. You're right, they seem to be a really miserable bunch. They were quite amusing when they were in the Blue Beetle issue a couple of months ago, so I made the mistake of thinking that they would CONTINUE to be amusing.

They're not. They are dull, whiney and a bit on the mean side. So pooh.

 
At 6:27 AM, Blogger poop scoop said...

I want Maxine to develop a crush on Jamie NOW!

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

That would be so cute! Too bad his heart belongs to Traci Thirteen.

 
At 12:46 AM, Blogger Cove West said...

I'm with you guys about TEEN TITANS. Kid Devil and Ravager have potential, and M'Gann was sorta fun before the Adult M'Gann showed up and emo'd her, but Robin and Wonder Girl are dragging the book far beyond even my threshold (and I survived the '90s X-Men). Especially Cassie; two years of Connor-mourning? Enough already! I'm giving McKeever one more issue, but he better bring it.

Though I gotta give him props on his Beetle; if TEEN TITANS is gonna be Jaime's "sister" title, I'm glad the writer can capture his spark.

Howzabout we ditch the losers and have a Teen Titans group of Beetle, Traci, Maxine, Firestorm, Stargirl, and Ryan Choi (not a teen, but close enough)? And they're all living at Jaime's house -- Mrs. Reyes trying to make cookies with Maxine without whacking her with the dough roller, Paco trying to out-street Jason, Brenda all mad that Ryan is always right...it'd be like the Brady Bunch, but with Peacemaker instead of Alice.

 
At 7:21 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

My Goodness! You mean put nice, likeable characters together? What a concept!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home