Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Just General Kvetching

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Just General Kvetching

I can't really complain about the weather, because it is absolutely gorgeous.  But naturally, that won't stop me from being generally in a funk.  Some of this may be due to the fact that the new comics don't come out until tomorrow.  For me, Tuesday is always the most miserable day of the week, and I see no reason to change that opinion.

I have complained about my boss in these hallowed pages once or twice...or maybe a lot...before, referring to them as Doug and Dinsdale, Springfield Mass's version of the infamous Piranha Brothers.  Dinsdale of course is my bete noir.  It occured to me today after about twenty minutes of nonstop cursing...and that was while he was with a buddy in his office...that Dinsdale is a variation on a Smurf. 

Yes, a Smurf, those adorable little blue critters that use the word Smurf to describe anything.  It can be a vowel, a noun, or an advective.  Dinsdale does that with the word Fuck.  Constantly.  Incessantly.  Occasionally creatively, but not usually.  I'm not a prude but after  a continuous barrage of this, it does start to wear on one. 

Creative swearing is an art, and one that is sadly waning nowadays.  As with everything else, our Founding Fathers were far more eloquent in their invective.  Not that kids today will be able to read anything by our Founding Fathers, because they don't teach cursive anymore.  And no, cursive doesn't mean cursing.  Unless you are really really good at it. 

And in the area of general complaining...I'm NOT really looking forward all that much to the All-Villains month coming up from DC.  It's been done before, and I wasn't all that thrilled with it then either.  It isn't because I don't like Villains...I DO...at least some of them.  It is also very very difficult to tell a story without one.  And I do think that DC has some of the very best Villains around.  But that doesn't mean that I want to have nothing BUT Villains...unless it is done very carefully, and I'm not sure that it sounds that way to me.  But what do I know, I haven't even read these stories yet, so I am guilty of over-reacting and being a negative Nelly,which is something that I always abominate in somebody else, so I should add hypocrisy to my feeling of general malaise today. 

But I think that they are going to have something with the Rogues, which is a good thing, because I like the Rogues.  A lot.  But man, I sure do miss the Secret Six by Gail Simone.  Deadshot just hasn't been the same.  Or Bane.  And God, I miss Catman and Ragdoll and Jeanette and Scandal and yes, even that Shark Guy, who was quite amusing with the Six. 

I like Hector Hammond for some reason.  Possibly because I can understand why he is so hung up on Hal Jordan.  I mean, who isn't?  I'm awfully tired of the Joker, but I like the Riddler, and the Penguin.  Sinestro is a great villain, mainly because a bit like Doctor Doom, he doesn't think of himself as a villain, and he does everything with a certain grandeur.  I like grandeur in a villain.  Or humor.  Or a really good schtick, like Carface, who only appeared once for a couple of pages in Birds of Prey, and hasn't been seen since, but he really SHOULD! 

You know?  I think that I've talked myself into a better mood!

Comics!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home