Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: What Would You Do for a Klondike Bar?

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

What Would You Do for a Klondike Bar?

Except substitute "Comics" for the sweet deliciousness of chocolate-covered icecream. Bear with me, children, for I am going to speak of the Olden Days, before there were Comic Book Stores, or at least before there were very many. Mostly, you found your books at the drug store or the News stand from a spinner rack. The concept of "mint" hadn't even been thought of. Back issues were unbelievably hard to come by. They were still printed on crappy newsprint, and they had that unmistakeable "comic book smell".

What oh what lengths would you go to, to find comic books?

My most ridiculous caper, was when I was a mere freshman at college, attending the University of Connecticut out in Storrs. UConn was a cow college to a certain extent back then, out in the misty wilds, far from any night life. There WAS however, a seedy little bookstore right next to my dorm. My ALL-GIRL dorm...for this was indeed the olden days. We called it the Nunnery. And AT this little bookstore...were COMICS! Back Issues of Comics! I was deep in the steely grip of my love of Marvel's Thor at this particular time of my life, and finding back issues was well-nigh impossible, because I lived in Granby, Ct, yet ANOTHER small town! We didn't even have a McDonald's.

I soon managed to wipe out the proprietor's meager collection of old Thor's, when I learned to my delight, that this was but one of several bookstores, all owned by the same person. The next closest one was in Willimantic, which was about 8 miles away. I didn't have a car, and none of my roomies or friends had a car. Did I let that stop me? Deep in the madness of the thought of acquiring yet MORE old comics, I borrowed my roommates bicycle, and rode it the 8 miles to Willimantic, whereupon I bought a lot of nice old Thor books, and then rode the 8 miles back. I was at least, a helluva lot younger and thinner then, and certainly had more stamina, but still...this was a pretty crazy thing to do. But I had to scratch that particular itch...!

So...what was the most insane thing that you ever did in order to acquire a particular comic or comics? You'll all be graded later on.

6 Comments:

At 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was Wednesday. On Wednesday, we go get comics.

It doesn't matter if we're sick.

It doesn't matter if we have walking pneumonia.

It doesn't matter if the comics shop is up two flights of rickety stairs.

It does matter if you pass out on said stairs and have to be taken to the hospital, and end up with lung damage.

One of my buddies got my comics for me though.

-- Jack of Spades

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger Saranga said...

I got nothing. I go to my shop religiously every week (unless i'm not in the city, in which case i seek out other shops and buy stuff not on standing order). I've been going every week for about 3 years. before that i went maybe once a month, for a couple of years, as i hadn't figured out shipping schedules existed.

i try and go on thursdays, sometimes i can't make it till friday or saturday. i can deal with that.

i did however, feel fucking bereft when the comics shipment was delayed due to that bloody volcanic ash cloud.

before i started buying comics i used to look at the uk reprints in the newsagents and flick through them secretively, too scared to buy any. when i did buy any, i hid them.

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

I don't have a story nearly that cool, but once in college, a girl in my German class asked if I would donate for the blood drive today. Everyone in her sorority was doing so, but she's diabetic, so she couldn't. I'm a sucker for a pretty face (and I thought it'd be a good way to get over my fear of needles) so i agreed.

But I didn't let being a pint low stop me from getting to the comic shop. I ate the cookie and drank the juice because they wouldn't let me leave otherwise, then I was out the door and on my way.

I think I started wobbling after a block, but fortunately, the store was only a couple of blocks away.

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

That's some serious dedication, you guys. I've never actually fainted before, OR coughed up a lung, nor have I had a volcano come between me and my books.

Comic book readers are a hardy breed.

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger googum said...

Although I bought a lot of books at the local Circle K, the nearest comic book shop was 80 miles away, and I made that trip many, many times. (Luckily, in Montana, that's like an hour's drive...)

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

80 miles away in Montana? Pshaw, a mere afternoon stroll...or so I've heard.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home