Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Superheroes get into the Strangest Predicaments

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Superheroes get into the Strangest Predicaments

There is no denying that your average Superhero finds himself or herself in some strange and bizarre situations upon occasion. It comes with the job I suppose,and when you have supervillains running about with all kinds of peculiar costumes, gadgets and weaponry, you have to accept the fact that odd things are going to happen. Throw aliens into the mix, and it gets even stranger.

But this is definitely out of the ordinary.


Batman


As a Civil War History buff, I've seen a lot of cannon, and I really don't think that I've ever seen one that would allow for this particular pose. Unless they've sawn off the barrel, which I would think would render the cannon unuseable, or else HIGHLY volatile. If the two gentlemen manning the gun were so stupid as to actually try to fire it, they would find themselves, along with Batman, BLOWED UP! Blowed up GOOD!

Besides, this really seems more like the sort of situation that Wonder Woman would find herself in, as opposed to Batman.

Then there is Scalphunter jumping down from the tree and brandishing his knife along the way. If he actually wishes to perforate Batman, then this would probably be the way to do it. If he wants to accidentally perforate himself, I would say that the odds are also pretty good. If he wishes to actally perforate the two gunners, why not simply come around from the tree, BEHIND them,and dispatch them quietly and efficiently?

Because it would be a whole lot less spectacular, that's why. Of course if this is simply a reinactment of the Battle of the Little Bighorn, then really, Batman only has himself to blame.

11 Comments:

At 11:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, given the ad nauseum reboots in the wake of Crisis/Xerox Hour/Hypertime/Final Crisis Until The Next One....I doubt whether that story is still "cannonical".

Oh yeah. I went there.

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger James Ashelford said...

There would be uses for a sawnoff cannon, I suppose. It would be the most labouriously low-tech bank robbery in history, admittedly, but you'd make the end of the news.

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

Wouldn't a sawed-off cannon essentially be a mortar? Or maybe someone got a hold of one of Napoleon's grapeshot cannons from the war of 1812 ...? ;-)

 
At 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wouldn't a sawed-off cannon essentially be a mortar?

Well, the mortar the merrier...Ba-DUMP-bump!

 
At 6:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*groan*

After this, getting tied to the keys of a giant typewriter will probably seem relaxing...

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger Garnet said...

There's lots to be said about this -- about Brave & Bold and about Batman's obscenely eventful life -- but I just want to say how good I think Jim Aparo is at crafting arresting covers. It sometimes seems to me that half the Bat-stuff posted on blogs is Aparo ART, in part because he's so clear and memorable. Maybe the story inside's risible, I don't know. But I see this and think "holy crap, Scalphunter's totally gonna kill Batman. Where's my 50 cents?"

 
At 5:59 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

I agree -- Aparo was definitely one of the best Batman artists of the 1970s (and I do think his '70s work is better than his later work). Next to Neal Adams and Marshall Rogers, I can't think of any other '70s Batman artist whose style is more distinctive than Aparo's.

 
At 6:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree, and it wasn't just on Batman. Aparo was one of the definitive artists, if not THE definitive artist, of any series he drew, be it Aquaman, Spectre, Phantom Stranger, or Batman.

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

As much as I may mock it, it IS a heckuva cover, in that it certainly captures your attention. And Aparo drew a definitive Batman.

But still, that's pretty ridiculous looking cannon.

 
At 8:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am I the only one who thinks maybe Scalphunter was jumping down to cut Batman free?

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

I suppose that IS possible. Although you would think that his leap, knife in hand, would possibly spook the two soldiers into blowing them all to smithereens.

It is also interesting, that the two gunners aren't dressed in either blue or gray, but in brown,leaving their allegiance highly debatable. I suppose it could be butternut, which would make them Confederates. There is also no red striping to their uniforms, which would have been de rigeur for artillerymen.

I am SUCH a pedant sometimes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home