Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Oh, not again!

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Oh, not again!

I know, I know, I've babbled about this before. That feeling of utter hopelessness as you stare at a computer screen, knowing that there isn't a single thing in your head to write about. How do professional columnists and writers DO this? Maybe I can mumble about the Green Lanterns for a while.

Or maybe, just maybe, for a change of pace, I can mumble about OTHER heroes. Like, when are they going to bring Aquaman back? The REAL Aquaman. Like Superbrat Prime, I know that the REAL Aquaman doesn't have a stupid sword. There have been rumbles and rumors coming out of DC that they are going to bring back the REAL Aquaman, but like most children, I have limited patience. I want him NOW, dammit.

I not only want the REAL Aquaman back, but I want him back in all of his green and orange glory. And short hair. Really, the long hair may have looked all bad-assed or whatever, but I can't imagine that it would have been very practical underwater. And I want him talking to fish again. Because in the long run, that is actually a very handy sort of power to have. And while I rather like Namor, Aquaman is NOT Namor, and they shouldn't try to make him act or talk like Namor. Although a certain amount of rolling of the eyes at the drylander's obtuseness is allowed. And the giant seahorse would be a plus. And the octopus.

J'onn J'onnz is dead. Now bring him back. He can hang out with Aquaman! They always seemed to enjoy each others company.

It's nice that Spoiler never died, I'm not much of a Stephanie OR Bat fan, but she got a pretty raw deal. For that matter, it's nice that Dr. Leslie has had her reputation redeemed. It's nice I suppose that Batman realized all of this, but what does it say about him, that the doctor was willing to go to the lengths that she did to teach him a lesson? I don't know if her tactic worked, he seems pretty blase' about the whole thing. For being so bloody fantastic all of the, Batman never seems to have the basic humanity or humility to actually learn a lesson from the bad things that happen. He's probably back to planning how to take out the Justice League again.

I would be in heaven, if somehow, Fire and Ice could join the Birds of Prey. It's not that I don't like Huntress or Zinda or even Misfit, but Barbara could use a bit of new blood. I just miss having them together. Fire doesn't seem very happy over at Checkmate, and Ice just isn't being used enough. They don't have to go on every mission, but it would be nice to have them interact a bit. Plus, I think that Huntress and Fire's personalities would be...interesting together.

When are Guy and Ice going to go on that date? Or did they go on that date when they ended up helping out Blue Beetle against the Reach?

Oh look! It's time to go and buy my comics! And there are certainly some goodies out there this week, such as Fables, Blue Beetle, Manhunter and Nightwing!

6 Comments:

At 12:59 PM, Blogger Cove West said...

Fire and Ice on the BoPs is an awesome idea. Bea/Helena? What about Tora/Zinda? Three issues together and Zinda'd have Ice tossing back boilermakers and throwing around haymakers. She'd change her codename to "Ice...though I can be warm where it counts" and ditch the gymnast costume for one of those sexy Santa Claus teddies (but blue, of course, and with the requisite hat).

But seriously, the BoPs need an infusion of "name" characters. From a marketing standpoint, the team is Huntress, Oracle, a C-list Golden Ager no one cared about until Gail remembered her a few years ago, the perpetually-cancelled Manhunter, an annoying newbie, and a crazy goth chick. I can understand the loss of Canary and Power Girl to the JLA and JSA, and the loss of Barda to Dan Didio, but there's other fish in the DCU mermaid sea. Fire, Ice, Donna Troy and Starfire and Raven (when Titans is cancelled), Zatanna, Katana, resurrect Jade.... Or if it's the "youth readership" they're looking for, Supergirl, Speedy, Batgirl (once BandtheO is done), Traci 13, and a certain purple-hooded Cluemaster daughter are all just sorta hanging around like all the damn lazy teenagers these days with their video games and hobo-sex, just waiting for a nice librarian to tell them whose asses to kick. Are people really so taken with Misfit and Black Alice that having the analagous Raven and Zatanna instead would be a detriment? Spoiler and Traci 13?

Where IS that GUY GARDNER/ICE: 164-PAGE KING-SIZE DATE SPECIAL 1 (of 12) that I dreamed we were promised? Ollie and Dinah get an event, while Guy and Tora get an off-panel coffee break? Hell, Terry Long got more romantic panel-time than these two. If I didn't know better, I'd swear someone had it in for the ex-JLI (oh, wait...).

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

I like the way you think, my dear. I'd KILL for a 164 page GUY GARDNER/ICE Date special. As would a few other people, I hope.

I love Zinda, I like Huntress and Manhunter, and I tolerate Misfit, although Black Alice makes me grind my teeth together. It is such a shame that Black Canary is gone, but I understand that she has other things to do. I REALLY miss Barda though. That's why I think that Fire and Ice would be such welcome additions. You just KNOW that Huntress and Fire would have some differences of opinion, but Ice is so sweet that she'd get everyone calmed down. And yes, she SHOULD go clubbing with Zinda.

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Mana G said...

What with Power Girl, Barda and Dinah gone, the team could certainly use a pick-me-up. I could picture Misfit making little "Help Wanted" posters, with pictures of Huntress and Zinda, that say, "Join the Birds of Prey! It's where the COOL people go!"
But, that's just because I tend to see Birds of Prey as a place where those whom are just sick of all the crap they've been put through. (This is why I think Spoiler would be a nice addition; besides, wouldn't she make a nice middle ground between Black Alice and Misfit?)

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Spoiler would indeed be a good choice, and she has the added advantage of knowing Oracle. She also might be able to bond with Misfit a bit, and perhaps calm the poor kid down.

They really don't have a powerhouse at the moment, which they could certainly use. Fire has quite a bit of raw power, and Ice is apparently still juiced up, and has a lot more ability than she started out with, and their Justice League experience has to count for something.

But a recruitment drive would be nice.

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger Duskdog said...

Fire and Ice on BoP, yes! They need to be together again. And I've already posted about how much I want to see Ice and Misfit hang out together (as much as I love Babs, I don't think she's that great of a mother/sister figure for Charlie), but I hadn't actually given any thought to the other interactions that would occur. Huntress seemed genuinely fond of Tora when they brought her back despite the fact that her time with the JLI was less than happy. And Fire/Huntress arguments? Yes, please.

Plus, it would give Guy a reason to make special guest appearances! I mean, he and Zinda are already friendly (and I'd love to see a "Guy and Zinda get in a barfight with some thugs" issue), and he and Huntress can talk about teaching or something.

Also, Spoiler. Good friend for Charlie, also good for Tora. Geez... the more I think about this, the more I love how everybody would interact with everybody.

 
At 6:46 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

It could be an awful lot of fun. I'd love to have Guy show up sometimes, he and Zinda are old buddies after all...which could also be interesting with Tora and Fire thrown into the mix.

Oh...if ONLY someone could write about this.

(nudge, nudge, wink, wink.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home