Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Marvel and Diversity

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Monday, April 03, 2017

Marvel and Diversity

So... Marvel's apparent slump in sales is because telling stories about women, teens and non-white males is chasing away readers. Or something.

Seriously?

I can only speak of my own reading habits, but it was because of those fun quirky books that I came slithering back to the Marvel side of the aisle, after having been chased away by the horror of Civil War I.  Frankly I adore Ms Marvel, and Squirrel Girl and Hellcat, and the Champions,  and Groot and Howard the Duck.  And the Young Avengers, whom I still miss terribly.

You know what I don't read? All those damn, never-ending crossovers and "Events".   Civil War, part deaux was awful... and pointless. I love Captain America, but I Will Not Read about him as a secret Hydra Agent, because that is just a bloody stupid idea.  I also don't need twelve Avenger books. I like the Avengers, but that's just insane.

The Thor books are good. Need more Loki though.

Here's a thought Marvel. Get some good writers (which you have) and pair them up with some good artists (which you also have) and let them tell the tales that they wish to tell about their characters WITHOUT having to suborn their ideas to yet another gawdawful Twelve Issue Crossover!

Oh, and maybe stop raising the price by 50% every few months as well. Couldn't hurt.

4 Comments:

At 1:13 PM, Blogger Erin S. said...

Pretty much. It really reads like Marvel don't understand what the actual problems are.

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

It was pretty ridiculous, although I wasn't clear on whether Marvel was saying that was the problem, or that retailers were telling them that was what they thought the problem was. Either way it's blaming the fans for not wanting to buy Marvel comics. It also doesn't help that part of rolling out the new characters with old code names (like Sam Wilson as Falcon, or jane as Thor) usually involves either killing off the older character (see Banner or Logan), or crapping on them in some way (see Steve Rogers becoming secret HYDRA guy). Which only serves to piss off the fans of those characters, which isn't going to make them inclined to try the new version.

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

Exactly! The crossovers are getting ridiculous. Especially at Marvel with the Civil War II nonsense. And dragging things out, like the Steve Rogers as Hydra storyline. I was enjoying it, when I was thinking it would last about 6 issues, then maybe 12 issues. I finally dropped it. And while I love Capt. Marvel, I hate what Carol's become thanks to Civil War II. She became a bitch. I can't bear to read her book, anymore.

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Exactly! I actually have always liked legacy characters, so I have no problem with Jane as Thor, or Amadeus as the new Hulk. And find it refreshing that we actually have some new characters who aren't young white males.

But Cap as Hydra? Carol as a shrew? Tony as... whatever Tony is? Twelve Avenger books, and trying to ram the Inhumans down our throats as the new coming thing?

No. Just... no.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home