Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: IncrediblyLate Reviews

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Tuesday, August 02, 2016

IncrediblyLate Reviews

Yeah, yeah, I've got two, maybe even three weeks worth of stuff to discuss.  I really need to be a little more proactive or something.

May I confess something? 

I have been feeling rather...lackadaisical about my comics lately.  There are some that still excite me, Squirrel Girl, The Mighty Thor, Ms. Marvel and even the newly reborn Green Lantern Corps...if you ignore Hal.  I like Lucifer and Archie, I love Saga, but it has an interesting schedule most of the time.  There are others that I enjoy, but something is just...missing lately. 

It's nice that DC finally got it's head out of its ass and brought back the REAL continuity...or something similar to it.  It took a while of course.  And as glad as I am that they did...and I am...some of them just aren't doing it for me.  More of the same old, same old. 

And I am getting a little peeved at Marvel although they are bringing out some excellent books, they are also cancelling Howard the Duck...again.  Dammit!  And I am so sick of giant crossovers.  Civil War stunk the first time around and it hasn't improved the second time around. 

But I am getting cranky.  It is probably the heat and humidity.

Anyhoo.


Black Widow #5

This continues to be excellent. Betrayals and action, and Samnee's amazing artwork all combine to keep me coming back.

Patsy Walker, aka Hellcat #8

Patsy and her friends all mourn the loss of She-Hulk, who actually isn't dead, but IS in a coma.
 It's lovely as usual.

Wait a minute, how did I change the font in the middle of typing?  I need a teenager!

Howard the Duck #9

Co-starring Lea Thompson!  And it is hilarious!  And the best portrayal of the Human Torch that I have read in a very long time.  And Mojo of all people. Why are they cancelling this?

The Totally Awesome Hulk #9

May I just say that I love Amadeus and I am really REALLY hating Carol?  He's not at all happy about what happened to Bruce.  Neither am I. He is enjoying twisting SHIELD's tail, and then the Black Panther shows up.  I do hope he's not as big a douche canoe as Carol.

Ms. Marvel #9

Poor Amala.  She's completely uncomfortable with what Carol is doing, and her teenaged jackbooted thugs, and she's looking for some guidance, and getting nothing.  A whole lot of other people aren't happy with the arbitrary tossing of innocent people into jail either.   And then...Oh Bruno!  This is fabulous. Heartbreaking and fabulous.

Squirrel Girl #10

This continues to be the funniest book on the planet.  And possibly the solar system. Nay, even the galaxy.  Seriously, it is really really funny.  I can no longer see Kraven the Hunter any other way now.  
The courtship of Mole Man continues, and poor Dorreen is suddenly the topic of the media, all bickering over what she should be doing. Fortunately, Nancy is there to be awesome.  She tells Mole Man that Doreen just isn't interested, and he turns on her...naturally, and Nancy sics Tippy Toe on him, which is magnificent of course.

When Doreen finally does confront him, they find that Tricephalus, one of Mole Man's "monsters" has nurtered an unrequited adoration of him for years...and after getting stomped a bit...quite literally, Squirrel Girl is able to convince him that she is not for him, and he can revel in his sweet sweet monster love.   The world's buildings are back, and all ends happily...of course.

God, I do love this book.

The Mighty Thor #9

And speaking of love.  I enjoy the heck out of this one as well.  It's not Jane Foster as Thor that I adore so much...frankly I find that she doesn't have much of a sense of humor...but Loki, who certainly DOES!  And he misses his mommy, and explains why he apparently stabbed her in the back, as he and Odin are keeping her alive with their blood and magic. 

Thor and Roz are still chasing clues, and Dario Agger, as he fights off the Silver Samurai and Obliette while Roxxon decides to go ahead and activate their doomsday device.  Also, SHIELD has the balls to actually show up on Asgard with a warrent to go through Jane Foster's stuff.  I wasn't aware that they had inter-galactic jurisdiction.  

Great stuff.

Batgirl/Birds of Prey #l

I was actually quite looking forward to this.  I will not be buying the second issue.  

Bleh.

Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps #l

The first FIRST issue, just had Hal blathering.  At least he gets to fight Sinestro in this one, who has been aged by the burden of using Parallax or something, but takes over the Yellow and is young again.  And then Hal shows up and fights some smugglers or something, and encounters a Sinestro Corps member and conquers Fear and all that.  

But what is actually interesting is that what remains of the GLC comes bursting out of a hole in space...which just makes me SO HAPPY!  Look, there is  Arisia and B'dg! They're not dead!  Although they did lose a fair number of  members, none of them were ones that I had ever heard of, so who cares?  There is Guy!  And John and Kilowog and Salaak and that fish-headed guy!  Woohoo!

Something to actually look forward to.

Lucifer #8

I do enjoy this book.  It has Lee Garbett, and he's a darned good artist.  Holly Black is a darned good writer, and I actually care about this misfit band of angel and demons and the poor mortals who interact with them.  

Good good stuff as well.

Archie #10

I am still in a state of disbelief that I am actually buying and enjoying an Archie book, but man, it really is just the bee's knees.  This one has Archie doing his usual idiotic stuff, except that it affects  Betty's uncle, who is in a political race with none other than Mister Lodge...and although there is a lot of humor in it, there is also some pathos.  A really great book.

And that's that!  Not really a whole lot of books, all things considered.  I haven't picked up Justice League, because I don't care much about the two Lanterns in it, who just bicker all the time.  Hal is bad enough.  The new Wonder Woman book by Rucka is actually...pretty good, when I can find it.  I lost interest in Batman a while back, and same with Aquaman, and Superman.  I really can't stand the Inhumans, and don't even know what is going on with the X-Men, except they seem to be more or less falling apart and are fighting the Inhumans or something.  I AM eagerly awaiting the Blue Beetle though.  And the return of Booster Gold and Rip Hunter would also be appreciated.  I'm glad that Wally is back.  

4 Comments:

At 3:18 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

Yeah, Civil War II is a pain in the butt. Ms. Marvel and Black Widow were great, and I'm giving Batgirl and the Birds of Prey a chance, at least through the first story arc. I've been enjoying a number of comics. Have you given the Rebirthed Wonder Woman a try? I love it.

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

The new Wonder Woman has indeed been good...I missed the first one, but the one with Nicola Scott on the art was great!

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger Erin S. said...

I still have one solid title I'm loving while everything else is just wait and see when it's released. I do feel like there should be more books on my permanent pull list but there's not much that interests me at the moment.

It's funny because someone warned me about BATBOP awhile back. I gave up on BOP awhile back so I wasn't planning on getting it anyway but they said it had/was going to have too much drama.

 
At 11:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have enjoyed "Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps" to be more enjoyable, and wonder whether it depends in one's reading of it.

Every time Sinestro and the Sinestro Corp eome into play, the dialog is hilariously campy. COMPLETELY over the top. It occurred to me at some point along the way that this might be deliberate. It seems that I have been enjoying this book more than you.

This might also mean that its authors are offended by my remarks. Oh well... but please do (if you have the time) look for intents at humour here if/when you read this again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home