Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Green Lantern Corps #5

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Monday, January 23, 2012

Green Lantern Corps #5

Somehow in all of the excitement, I forgot to do a review of my favorite book! Although I still think that the cover is just ridiculous.

John and his captured cohorts aren't in this very much, basically, they are being tortured by the extremely disgruntled Keepers, for information about how to invade Oa and steal the main Power Battery. Naturally, being Green Lanterns they are remaining mum. The Keepers aren't particularly nice people, but you have to admit that they do have a valid reason for being cranky. Something really weird is going on with the Guardians. Have they really been this ruthless for this long?

Anyway, the rest of the story is mainly Peter Tomasi having fun with his version of the Wild Bunch, the Dirty Dozen, and any number of manly manly old-time movies, starring the likes of Charles Bronson, Lee Marvin, and so on and so forth. Guy needs to round up a posse of the toughest Lanterns around, and they don't come much tougher than the "Mean Machine". Attrition has eaten into their numbers apparently, but there are a few of them left, hiding out beneath Warriors, where they meet to play cards and drink Guy's beer for free, I guess. Guy takes it pretty well, all things considered, and rounds up these gruff old veterans, so that they can all go and rescue John and the rest of the Lanterns. Brik and Sheriff Mardin and H'onnu aren't particularly thrilled, and there is a certain amount of trash talk going on. Then they all fly off and raid a bunch of Khund pirates, and take their stash of weapons, and they get to stand around posing with automatic weapons and looking very very macho.

It's perfectly absurd of course. But I don't care. I get the impression that Tomasi is just having a bit of fun with this, and Pasarin's art is pretty as usual, so I enjoyed it.

4 Comments:

At 4:56 PM, Blogger Lantern Kiaori said...

If I ever get the chance to, randomly, open a bar, I will definitely name it Warrior's. I thought that the place was destroyed (again) in the GL's war, but I guess that the Re-boot took care of that.

By the way, what happened with Natu, Iolande and Arisia? hope we could see them again, since they were kind of my favorites.

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Let's see, Warriors did get wrecked at the end of Blackest Night, but Guy and Kyle must have put it together again. It seems to have come through the War of the Green Lanterns, relatively unscathed. On the other hand, it is a running gag, that the place is ALWAYS closed for repairs.

But yes, I'd kill to be able to go to a bar named Warriors.

It is a bit depressing that Soranik, Iolande and Arisia haven't been around very much lately. They're wonderful characters. On the other hand, I have to say that I am rather enjoying seeing Brik for a change, because I like her. AND Sheriff Mardin, who has gone from a small fat purple lady, to a tall thin purple lady. Rather like Amanda Waller.

Perhaps once we get past the current storyline in GLC, we'll be seeing the girls again.

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Lantern Kiaori said...

Yes, Brik is a nice change and Sheriff Mardin surprised me. I saw her older appearance and now she's like a supermodel or something (though I really dislike her outfit...).

I hate what they did with Amanda :C in both Suicide squad and the Green Lantern movie. I want chubby Amanda back u.u

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Me too. It's just not the same with a skinny Waller. What IS the world coming to?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home