Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Reviews

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Reviews

Oh, it was a very nice week at the comical book store, considering there wasn't any Green Lanterny stuff out. But still I managed to be entertained.

Firstly, I picked up the first issue of Batman:Streets of Gotham. Decent story, cool villain, and really beautiful artwork, by Paul Dini and Dustin Nguyen respectively. And Manhunter was the second feature! Manhunter! Woohoo!

The Brave & the Bold was a nice little done-in-one story with Static teaming up with Black Lightning. Nothing mindboggling, but still,a nice little tale.

Jack of Fables #35. The Great Fables Crossover enters into the home stretch, with only one more issue to go. Bigby may have been turned into an adorable little girl, but he's STILL the Big Bad Wolf. I've actually been enjoying this a fair amount, although Jack is still completely reprehensible. But the Brian Bolland covers have been top-notch.

Green Arrow/Black Canary #21 was ok, I guess. I'm still not exactly sure why I'm still getting this. As Shelly said over at Shelly's Comic Book blog, she gets it for the characters, and I guess I'm in the same boat. I keep hoping that something will happen, but I'm about ready to cut this one loose.

The Outsiders on the other hand, I've been enjoying ever since Peter Tomasi took over. You know who I like? Owlman. I don't know why, I just do.

Power Girl #2 continues to entertain. The artwork by Amanda Conner is so cute, and really, how can you go wrong with the Ultra Humanite trying to steal Peej's body?

I was also given a special publication of Green Lantern Corps: Through the Ages, which was basically snips and snaps and reprints of relevant bits of history of the GLC. I had most of these, but not the Tomar Re story, so it was nice to have.

The biggie of course, was the third volume of Starman Omnibus. Good. Sooooooo very very good. It reprints a bunch of the issues that I didn't have, with the death of the sweet version of Soloman Grundy, and the whole Pirate thing and Will Payton and more. Plus there is the four-part mini-series of the Shade, which is simply fabulous. FABULOUS!!

And then of course, there's Hal. You didn't think that I'd forgotten about Hal? Dwayne over at Matching Dragoons has been featuring Jonah Hex in his futuristic version of HEX, wherein for some strange reason, he was snatched up into the future. It was all a little weird, quite frankly. But if we are looking for alternate versions of our heroes, then here's a good one.

Hal and Ollie

Yup. That's Hal as the Spectre, being pasted one in the kisser by none other than a newly resurrected Oliver Queen. This was when Kevin Smith brought back Ollie from the dead, and it was a heck of a good series. The Justice League was actually surprised and thrilled to welcome him back, which always seemed to me to be a much more realistic reaction to coming back from the dead than the usual..."oh hey, you're back" attitude. Hal of course, was dead himself, but trying to gain redemption as the Spectre. Hal as the Spectre always made me chuckle. It just seemed so...incongrouous.

9 Comments:

At 9:09 PM, Blogger Duskdog said...

I'm terribly disappointed in GL/BC, as well. Ever since Connor and Mia left (for ridiculous reasons that seemed way too sudden and contrived for my tastes), I've been struggling to enjoy it at all... but I keep buying for the characters, too. I want a good Ollie and Dinah fix so bad, yet it just won't deliver.

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger Duskdog said...

GA/BC is what I meant, bleh. Can you tell I always have GL on the brain?

...Though... I admit a Green Lantern/Black Canary book would probably be lots of fun to read.

 
At 10:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hee hee...I thought that scene was brilliant, myself. And in Hal's defense, he does manage to leave Ollie slack-jawed and speechless for a minute there...probably the only time anyone managed to do that. As Hal said, "Someone alert the media"!

word: readiz = what I duz wit my comics!

 
At 12:29 AM, Blogger MetFanMac said...

Hal has a CHIN OF DOOOOM!

 
At 7:25 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

Oh, Hal as the Spectre. :-) I loved Hal as the Spectre. He cracked me up -- which is why hardcore Spectre fans just HATED him as the Spectre. ;-)

Happy belated birthday, Sally!

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Thank you Sea. Hal as Spectre really was QUITE amusing...the Spectre was a heck of a lot more interesting then than he is now.

Duskdog, a Green Lantern/Black Canary team-up would inDEED be interesting, especially if you got someone who actually knows the characters to write it. I nominate Tomasi myself.

It is ALWAYS fun to see Ollie speechless...it doesn't happen all that often.

 
At 8:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait, you're buying GA/BC?! I'm actually really surprised.

 
At 1:58 PM, Anonymous TotalToyx said...

I've been out of the loop for awhile. Have they rebooted Black Canary's origin again yet?

In 2009, it's just as implausible for the current Black Canary to be the daughter of the Golden-Age BC as it was in 1983 for her to have been the Golden-Age BC.

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

As far as I know, the original Black Canary is still Dinah's mumsie.

Scotty, I happen to like both Ollie and Dinah as characters, and I keep hoping somehow,that they'll be written well. So far, I've been out of luck, but I have a tendancy to let poor books go on FAR too long before I pull the plug. However, I feel that this plug is about to get yanked.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home